Chicken burgers are good but Chicken Burgers with a Mexican twist are muy bueno! Kick them up with taco seasoning, jalapenos and tequila then top with grilled peppers, onions & plenty of guacamole for a real south of the border treat.
Mexican Chicken Burgers
We grill a lot here in South Florida, I guess you would say 24/365, so you can imagine the repertoire of grilling recipes I have on hand. And with Labor Day around the corner, our grill will definitely be smokin’!
One of the meals we love to fix are burgers, like our Key West Burgers, but we like to change it up on occasion. Chicken, being a healthy, leaner meat than beef, gets its turn on the grill. But not just any plain ole chicken burger would do. Nope! Enter our chicken burger with a Mexican twist.
Simple Steps to Make Grilled Chicken Burgers with a Mexican Twist
What flavors/ingredients do you think of when someone says Mexican? Guacamole comes to mind first, and I’ve got one of the best recipes around, but I digress. Next would be taco seasoning, grilled onions and peppers (a la fajitas) and of course cilantro.
Take all these seasonings, combine them with ground chicken, pump it up with a little tequila, grill up a side of veggies, and you’ve got one kick butt chicken burger with a Mexican twist. It’s destined to become your family’s new favorite dinner. Happy Grillin’!
Mexican Favorites You’ve Got to Try
Mexican Cheese Puff from 2CM
Smothered Chicken Burritos from 2CM
Creamy Fajita Skillet from We Are Not Martha
Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce from 2CM
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 large jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons tequila
- 3 Tablespoons cilantro
- 2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices Monterey jack pepper jack or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 each of yellow red & green bell pepper, cut in sections
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced thick
- Olive oil
- Garnish: guacamole
- Preheat grill.
- Combine all ingredients for chicken burgers except for cheese.
- Mix well and divide into 4 patties.
- Prepare vegetables.
- Lightly coat with olive oil.
- Place vegetables on grill and cook for approximately 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- When the vegetables are turned at the halfway point, add chicken burgers to the grill.
- Cook burgers for about 5 minutes a side.
- With about 1 minute remaining, top with cheese. Remove from grill when cheese has melted.
- To assemble: Place burger on bun, top with peppers and onions. Garnish with fresh guacamole.
Adapted from recipe found on Southern Living.