No need to get out the grill for these moist, delicious Air Fryer Turkey Burgers! They're an easy-to-make dinner that takes less than 5 minutes prep, a little chill time, and 10 minutes to cook. Top with crunchy coleslaw and you've got your new favorite burger!
These ground turkey burgers in the air fryer are the easiest and best turkey burgers you'll ever have! They take just minutes to throw together, the air fryer, which should be named appliance of the decade, makes them easy to cook while still retaining plenty of moisture and flavor.
For a spectacular holiday BBQ, create a smorgasbord of burgers. ('Cause everyone loves a good burger!) Burgers like my Key West Burgers, Buffalo Burgers, Red, White and Bleu Burgers, and these turkey burgers will really wow the crowd.
If you don't have an air fryer, or the weather is cooperating, this turkey burger can also be made on the grill. Just remember to spray the grill grates so the burger doesn't stick. I like to grill mine at 400-450 degrees for 5-6 minutes per side.
Best Seasoning for Turkey Burgers
Turkey, by itself, is a rather bland meat so adding seasonings is a must. Fresh vegetables make the biggest impact on flavor such as onion, garlic, scallions, and red bell pepper. Spices and sauces such as Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, or even Thai basil for more Asian flavor are great additions.
Best Cheese for Turkey Patties
Any cheese that melts well can be added to make the best turkey burger even better. Cheddar is my favorite for any type of burger but Monterey or Colby-Jack, Swiss, Fontina, or even Gouda are all delicious.
Turkey Burger Toppings
- Crunchy Slaw (included with this turkey burgers recipe)
- Fried Egg
- Lettuce and Tomato
- Sliced Avocado
- Jalapeno slices
- BBQ or Buffalo sauce
- Pesto Mayo or Garlic Aioli
- Sauteed Onions and Peppers
The best way to check if a turkey burger is done is to use a digital thermometer. It should read 165 degrees when cooked through. You can also cut it open and check that the flesh is opaque with no pink in the center.
Absolutely! Turkey is a lean protein containing much less fat than beef and is a great source of niacin, Vitamin B6, zinc and selenium.
These burgers are done in just 10 minutes when placed in a preheated 400-degree air fryer. You can also cook them at a lower temperature, such as 360 or 380, but add at least 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Sure thing! I love to use frozen Butterball Turkey Burgers when I'm in a hurry. Just preheat the air fryer to 375-380 degrees then place in the bottom of an oil sprayed basket and cook for 12-16 minutes, turning halfway through until thoroughly cooked. It makes for a quick and easy dinner for busy weeknights.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
Ground Turkey - is the perfect lean protein and a healthy substitute for the usual ground beef
Panko Crumbs - absorbs moisture from the turkey and combines with the egg to form a glue that holds the burger together. Breadcrumbs call also be used.
Egg - is part of the binder to keep the burgers intact
Onions & Garlic - are fresh aromatics that lend flavor to the turkey. Red bell pepper or scallions can also be added.
Soy Sauce/Hoisin Sauce - gives a touch of Asian flavoring to the turkey patties while providing moisture and packing a ton of flavor
Salt & Pepper - enhances the flavor of all ingredients
Ingredients for Crunchy Coleslaw
Coleslaw Mixture - make sure to purchase one that contains carrots and a combination of white and purple cabbage.
Green Onion - adds a mild onion flavor to the mix along with color and crunch
Red Onions - are crispy and colorful and add a slightly spicy edge to the coleslaw
Cilantro - make sure it is fresh for the tangiest, citrus flavor. If you are not a fan of cilantro, parsley can be substituted.
Soy Sauce - is used as a flavor enhancer adding a rich savory taste that complements the fresh vegetables
Red Wine Vinegar - adds an acidic edge to the dressing giving it a clean, vibrant flavor
Brown Sugar - adds just a touch of sweetness
Sesame Oil - adds the necessary oil to the dressing while providing a rich nutty flavor
How to Make Turkey Burgers in Air Fryer
- In a large bowl, place ground turkey, panko, chopped onion, minced garlic, and egg.
- Pour in soy sauce.
- Sprinkle in grated ginger.
- Add hoisin sauce.
- Using your fingers, mix the turkey mixture until blended.
- Form into 4 patties then place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the panko to absorb some of the moisture of the ground turkey and help hold the burgers together.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Spray the basket and lay patties in bottom. Make sure there is plenty of space around them so they cook evenly.
- Air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. They are done when the temperature inside reaches 165 degrees.
How to Make Crunchy Slaw
- To make the dressing, place soy sauce in a small bowl then pour in rice wine vinegar.
- Add brown sugar.
- Pour in sesame oil. Either regular or toasted can be used.
- Whisk well.
- Place coleslaw ingredients, coleslaw mixture, red onions, green onions, and cilantro, in a large bowl then pour dressing over them.
- Toss to coat and marinate for 30 minutes or more to marry flavors.
Juicy, moist and totally delicious. Make it a cheeseburger, add lettuce and tomato and you'll never miss the beef! Enjoy!
Coat turkey patties with panko crumbs for a crunchier burger
Make these burgers into sliders by making 8 smaller burgers and placing them on smaller buns. Great for an appetizer or snack.
Keto Turkey Burgers - eliminate the panko crumbs and substitute ground pork rinds and make sure your hoisin sauce is labeled as keto
Add a fried egg on top for an English twist on these ground turkey burgers
Sides for Turkey Burgers
There are so many great sides to go with these juicy turkey burgers including the healthy and delicious crunchy slaw included in the recipe. I like to pair mine with Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes, corn on the cob, baked beans, deviled eggs, and a cool Cucumber Mint Watermelon Salad. Of course, if you want to stick to the air fryer, whip up some crunchy and relatively healthy zucchini fries.
More Air Fryer Dinners
Air Fryer Chicken Skewers - are a quick and easy meal using a simple marinade, chicken breasts, and your favorite vegetables. Just 10 minutes to cook and dinner is on the table.
Fried Shrimp in the Air Fryer - are easy to make, crispy on the outside, moist and tender on the inside fried shrimp that take just 10 minutes to cook.
Air Fryer Steak Bites from Food Folks and Fun- These buttery seasoned Air Fryer Steak Bites are ready in under 30 minutes! They’re tender and juicy and come out perfectly every time.
Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin - turns into a tender and juicy spice-rubbed pork dinner in just 30 minutes!
Find more delicious air fryer recipes on 2CM!
LOVE QUICK & EASY RECIPES? FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, & PINTEREST FOR ALL THE LATEST RECIPE INSPIRATION! PLUS JOIN MY EMAIL LIST AND RECEIVE A FREE E-BOOK.
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup panko
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped or 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ginger or ½" piece of ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
Crunchy Coleslaw (optional)
- 2 ½ cups coleslaw mixture with carrots
- ¼ small red onion thinly sliced then quartered
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil, regular or toasted
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mixture with red onion, green onion and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle coleslaw mixture with soy sauce mixture and toss to coat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until burgers are made and finished air frying.
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Form into 4 patties then place them in refrigereatorfor at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Place patties into basket of air fryer and cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Place on toasted buns and serve with side of crunchy slaw or lettuce and tomato.
Leave a Reply