Our rich Chocolate Chocolate Cherry Cookies are doubly delicious! Dark chocolate cookies are filled with fresh seasonal cherries & dark chocolate chips. The perfect cookie for any chocolate lover!
It’s cookie time! Time for my favorite post of the month with my friends from the Creative Cookie Exchange, and today I’m bringing you Chocolate Chocolate Cherry Cookies! Since the theme this month was Seasonal Spring Baking, anything that is in season in our local grocery stores, I just couldn’t help but choose cherries, my husband’s favorite.
Usually when I think of cherries, I think of Cherry Cheesecake, Cherry Pie or Chocolate Cherry Tart but I thought why not add a cookie recipe to the mix. And I’d never tried making a cookie with fresh cherries but I was determined to make it happen.
And what better combination than cherries and chocolate! Think chocolate covered cherries and you’ve hit the nail on the head. But I didn’t just want to make a chocolate cookie with cherries I wanted to overdose on chocolate (for some reason I am craving it this month) so I added dark chocolate chips too! Overkill? I say not!
My first try was a little too fudgy, but would be great on ice cream, but it wasn’t the cookie I was looking for. (Don’t you love it when your mistakes are delicious too and can be used for something else?!) I decided they just had to be baked a little longer and voilà – they came out a little crunchy on the outside and chewy and fudgy on the inside. Yay!
I have to tell you, I took the first batch that was a little too fudgy and crumbled the cookies up then formed them into a ball and actually rebaked them for an extra 7-8 minutes and, guess what? They came out just as delicious as the latter batch. Who knew!
If you love chocolate you just have to try these and, if you love cherries, these are definitely a no brainer to make.
Are you drooling yet? Well, don’t stop now! Check out all the other delicious seasonal cookies from my friends below. I just can’t stop saying yum to them all!
More Cherry Recipes to Enjoy!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate chips or chocolate bar broken into chunks
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted & chopped into small pieces
- Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer until just combined, about 30-45 seconds.
Add vanilla and eggs and continue to beat until well incorporated.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
Add gradually to above mixture and mix until well combined.
- When preparing cherries, pit & chop into small pieces. Place on paper towel and roll up pressing lightly to get out any extra liquid to avoid mushy, underdone cookies.
- Stir in chocolate chips and cherries.
- Wrap dough and place in refrigerator to chill, about 45 minutes to one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove dough and, using a small cookie scoop, place mounds on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 11-13 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool for 4-5 minutes before removing cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Cooking Tip: Over mixing butter and sugar (called creaming) when making cookie dough can lead to flat cookies that will spread too much. The idea of creaming is to incorporate air into the batter, which is ideal for cakes, but not for cookies. Keep the creaming to a bare minimum, just enough to mix the ingredients together, about 30-45 seconds.
Spring is here! And with it loads of great flavors for baking!
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Chocolate Chocolate Cherry Cookies from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Jam Thumbprint Cookies from A Baker’s House
- Lavender Shortbread with Lemon Drizzle from Baking in Pyjamas
- Lemon and Cream Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lychee Melting Moments from Flours and Frostings
- Rhubarb Dream Bars… Trifle from The Spiced Life
- Rhubarb Lemon Drop Cookies from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sticky Mango Shortbread Bars from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Tart Cherry Oatmeal Cookies from Magnolia Days