Calling all chocolate and caramel lovers! These Pecan Turtle Cookies are like everyone’s favorite turtle candies in cookie form. Soft, chewy cookies with a center of caramel & a drizzle of chocolate are so decadent and delicious you might not want to share.
Raise your hand if you love those turtle candies! You know the ones, chocolate covered gooey caramel candies with pecans. Yummm! These candies bring back fond memories of my family vacations to Florida. We never forgot to stop in Georgia and pick up a box or two. It was a special treat we all looked forward to.
Now take that delicious concept one step further and put all that chocolaty, caramel goodness into a cookie. What have you got now? You’ve got a chewy caramel filled, chocolate drizzled delicious and, yep, decadent cookie!
These cookies take a little time to assemble but they are worth every minute. Step 1 is making the cookie dough which then needs to chill so that it is easier to handle. Roll into balls then dip into frothy egg whites and crushed pecans. Place on cookie sheets and make a small indentation with the back of a spoon in the center of each cookie. Once baked you will have to make it again in order to have room for the caramel.
Step 2, fill the depressions in the cookies with melted caramel and let them cool. And finally Step 3, and the kids love to help with this step, drizzle lots of melted chocolate over the top. Now try to keep them in the house long enough to serve to guests.
If you love this candy lover’s cookie you’ll have to check out my Peanut Butter Cup Cookies too! Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white plus egg white from separated egg above
- 1-1/4 cup pecans, chopped fine
- 14 soft caramel candies
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate (about 1/3 cup chips)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy. Add egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract and mix well. Reduce speed on mixer to low and add dry ingredients. Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to firm up for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To assemble cookies for baking, first whisk the 2 eggs whites until frothy. In another bowl, place the finely chopped pecans. Now, form small balls using the palms of your hands and dip first into egg whites and then into pecans. Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets and make a small indentation in the center of each with the back of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, melt caramels and cream in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave one more minute or until melted.
- Remove cookies from oven and place baking sheets on wire racks then immediately repress the indentation in each cookie. Fill indentations with a small amount of melted caramel mixture. Let cool for another 10-15 minutes on cookie sheets then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cooled, prepare chocolate drizzle by melting shortening and chocolate together in microwave in 30 second increments. Stir in-between. Do not overcook. Once melted, place in small resealable bag, snip corner and drizzle back and forth over the top of the cookies.
Christmas Cookie Marathon Series
Christmas Cookie Marathon
More Cookie Deliciousness
Cookies + Pudding = Scrumptious
Snowballs and Truffles
Simple and Delicious Cookies
Seasonal Flavors – Peppermint and Eggnog
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!