These Chocolate Mint Cookie Bars are simple to make. They’re like a thick, ooey, gooey version of your favorite chocolate chip cookie.
Did you know this month was national candy month? As if we needed a special month to enjoy candy! One of the things I love doing with candy is baking with it. Like my grandson’s favorite Chocolate Candy Bar Cookies. or my M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies. It is always interesting to experiment with adding it to familiar dishes and see how they turn out. This recipe was actually thrown together because I had made a graham cracker crust for a recipe I am sharing as a guest blogger later this month and had extra left over. I also had a package of Andes Mints on hand that I hadn’t done anything with since Christmas. So all I could think of was making some chewy cookie bars that would drip with mint chocolate and away I went.
When they came out of the oven, all warm and gooey I knew I had hit upon a good thing. I didn’t know how good until some of the people at my husband’s work asked for the recipe. And yes, I did send them to work with him because if I didn’t I would have eaten the whole batch myself! So grab yourself a glass of milk and enjoy!
These Chocolate Mint Cookie Bars are simple to make. They're like a thick, ooey, gooey version of your favorite chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 3/8 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1-1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2-3/4 cup Andes Creme de Menthe candies, chopped or baking chips if you can find them (add more or less to your liking)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside an 8"x 8" square baking dish.
- Make graham cracker crust by combining crumbs with sugar then pouring in melted butter. Mix well. Press into bottom of square baking dish. Bake for 8 minutes in preheated oven then set aside on wire rack to cool.
- To prepare cookie dough:
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, sugars and vanilla until creamy. Add in egg and beat until well mixed.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt together in small bowl. Add to butter mixture and beat until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Press cookie dough gently onto graham cracker crust being careful not to mix with crumbs.
- Sprinkle desired amount of Andes candies on top of cookie dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool. Cut into squares and store in airtight container.