These Mini Burgers Sliders are like a classic cheeseburger but in miniature form. They’re every bit as juicy and cheesy as their bigger counterparts but their size makes them perfect to serve as appetizers. And the Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce with caramelized onions makes them irresistible! Of course, you can grab several for a fun dinner night too!
There used to be bar in our neighborhood that my husband and I visited for happy hour that served the most delicious sliders and French fries. Since that time, I have loved making mini burgers sliders as a tasty appetizer whenever our favorite football team played and often, just for fun, make them our dinner with a side of fries. I’ve made tons of burger recipes like Key West Burgers and Rodeo Burgers but sliders have to top the list for appetizer duty.
What is a slider?
Sliders have been a hallmark of American cuisine since the 1940s. The sailors in the US navy referred to mini burgers as sliders. They were extremely greasy enabling them to slide right down in just a couple of bites. White Castle, my childhood favorite, became the first to serve these “sliders” which were steam-grilled, usually with onions, and served on a small bun. Or, another theory, is that chefs would grill the mini burgers sliders then slide them out of the way on the grill until someone ordered them. Then they would slide them back to the hot area of the grill, put on the toppings and serve. I don’t think it really matters what the true definition of a slider is as long as I get to eat them!
These BBQ Sliders are super easy to make too. Just divide the beef, form into patties, season and grill in a pan. Of course, adding my Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce makes these little beefy, cheesy bites even better. Top them with your favorite toppings like tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, bacon or onion rings and you’ve got yourself a tasty mouthful.
Frequently asked questions
What rolls go best with mini burgers sliders?
I like to purchase actual slider rolls from the bakery but dinner rolls, potato rolls and those sweet Hawaiian rolls work great.
Can you reheat these sliders?
Absolutely! Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place sliders on a cookie sheet and cover with foil. Bake for 12 minutes.
What other sauces go with burger sliders?
If you want to leave off the Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce, you can use just your favorite barbeque sauce. Mayonnaise-based sauces such as this Chipotle Ranch Sauce from Cook This Again Mom or this Black Garlic Aioli from Tao of Spice would work as well. You can even spread on some bacon jam for a real treat!
How to make sliders burgers
Gather the simple 6 ingredients plus mini rolls. Good organic, lean ground beef works best. You don’t want to have to dump out the flavor with all the extra grease.
- Form 6 small patties and place in a preheated skillet that has been coated with olive oil.
- Cook anywhere from 2-4 minutes on each side or until they are browned and done to your liking.
- Remove from pan and add chopped onions. This is where it gets good! Sauté onions for about 4 minutes or until they are soft and translucent then carefully pour in the whiskey.
- You want this to simmer and reduce slightly so the onions are caramelized and full of flavor. In fact, they are so good, I could just eat them out of the pan!
- Add the mini burgers back in the pan and turn to coat. Let them cook for about 10 minutes to soak up all the flavor.
- Top the BBQ sliders with cheese.
Serve these homemade sliders straight out of the pan. Slide onto buns that have been buttered and toasted.
Time to dig in! Don’t those just look like a heavenly mouthful? I like to serve mine with thin fast food-style fries or roasted potato salad and a good cold beer. Enjoy!
More burger recipes
Mexican Chicken Burgers bring all the spicy taste of Mexico to your favorite burger. Pile on the guacamole and dig in.
Buffalo Burgers aren’t your ordinary burger! They’re leaner with a fabulous taste that will have you putting your standard burger on the back burner.
Chorizo & Beef Burgers take a step up from the ordinary. Beef mixed with chorizo gives these a spicy kick then pile on the cheese and even a fried egg!
If you want more burger love, check out these burger recipes.
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list and receive a free e-book.
Mini Burgers Sliders with Jack Daniels BBQ SaucePrint Rate
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup whiskey Jack Daniels preferred
- 1/2 cup favorite barbecue sauce
- 4-6 slices jarred jalapeno slices chopped fine
- 6 small slider buns
- Cheddar cheese slices cut in fourths (optional)
- Divide the ground beef into 6 portions. Roll each into a ball then flatten slightly into a small patty. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Place patties in skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until brown. Remove patties and set aside.
- Cook onions in skillet, adding more olive oil if necessary, for about 4 minutes.
- Add whiskey, being careful if working around an open flame. It would be advisable to remove skillet from gas and pour whiskey into pan then return to heat. Cook until reduced by about 1/3rd, about 2 minutes.
- Add in jalapeno pieces and barbecue sauce, stir, then add the hamburger patties, turning so they are coated with sauce and let everything simmer together for approximately 10 minutes.
- To serve, toast buns by spreading butter on roll and placing on hot griddle for 1-2 minutes. You can also use a toaster and set the small buns, cut side down on top, and cook until browned.
- Place patties on bottom half of buns, top with cheddar cheese if desired and drizzle additional sauce over top. Place other half of bun on top and serve hot.