A meat lovers dream, this Italian Breakfast Casserole is a breakfast and a half. And it’s so easy! All it takes is a trip to your local deli for ham, salami and pepperoni, layer it atop hash browns, add plenty of cheese and eggs and you’ll be saying buon appetito in no time. Great for freezing for on the go lunches too!
Fast forward… OK, it’s Christmas morning and all your kids want to do is get to the presents under the tree. I think I can safely say that is the case in most households. But you want them to have a good breakfast (and the adults want it even more) and it’s got to be fast – enter this meat lover’s Italian Breakfast Casserole.
It’s really simple to put together using packaged meats and cheeses and, if made the night before, only needs about 40 minutes in the oven and you can set it on the table to eat. Serve it with orange juice and your favorite breakfast bread, among our favorites is Monkey Bread, and you have a complete meal that will keep everyone going (not that the kids need any help) until the big family meal of the day.
We have a tradition in our family of getting breakfast started and letting the kids/grandkids open their stockings. By the time that is done, and we always make sure to put something in that they can play with immediately, breakfast is almost ready.
We tear them away from the tree and they sit down, without much fuss (OK, maybe a little more than I want to admit), to eat a good breakfast. Then we have fun guessing about what might be in some of the boxes under the tree – it really builds the anticipation (as if we need more!).
This casserole also works great for breakfast on-the-go. It’s easy to reheat at the office as is, wrap it in a tortilla for more hands free eating or even put it between a sub roll for a hearty lunch. Believe me, it’s delicious any way you have it!
- 20 oz pkg Simply Potatoes hash browns (I used Garlic & Herb flavor)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- 16 slices genoa or hard salami rounds
- 8 oz pkg shredded mozzarella cheese
- 35 slices small pepperoni rounds
- 1 jar flame roasted peppers, drained (about 3-4 large), cut peppers to lay flat
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Mix hash browns with olive oil and press into bottom of casserole dish. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Remove from oven. Carefully lay ham slices on top of potatoes, followed by the Provolone cheese.
- Next, layer the salami then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with pepperoni and roasted peppers.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and Pecorino Romano cheese together and season with a little cracked black pepper. Pour over the top of the casserole. Tilt the casserole to get the egg mixture to cover all sides of the dish.
- Place back in oven for 40-50 minutes or until top is nicely browned and eggs are set.
- Let sit 15 minutes to make it easier to dish out. But, if you’re like us, just dig in right away!
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!