Nam Sod, or Thai Pork Salad, is a deliciously healthy Asian salad with a little kick. Low fat pork, carrots, ginger & peanuts are cooked with chile paste to bring homemade Thai to your dinner table in 30 minutes!
Nam Sod, or Thai Pork Salad, has always been one of my favorite dishes to order whenever I dine at a Thai restaurant. I've made other Thai dishes like Thai Red Curry Beef and Crockpot Coconut Chicken but making Nam Sod myself never occurred to me until I saw a recipe for it on Magnolia Days and just had to try it for myself.
After reading through the recipe, I couldn't believe I'd never tried making it way before now. I have to thank Renee for opening my eyes to how easy it is to make. I adapted her recipe slightly by cutting the ginger up into smaller pieces, adding a little shredded carrot, and serving it on a bed of lettuce as my favorite restaurant often does.
I also made mine a bit spicier as we have a love of hot food in our house. But you can easily change the heat just by varying the amount of chile paste used.
This is such a healthy salad and perfect for weekday lunches. The pork provides an excellent source of protein, with little fat and calories, while the ginger adds anti-inflammatory properties as well potassium, an important mineral in maintaining healthy blood pressure.
And we don't want to forget the chile paste as that helps kick everyone's metabolism into high gear to help burn those extra calories.
So what are you waiting for? Get your chopsticks out and chow down on this yummy and healthy Thai Pork Salad!
More Pork Recipes
Instant Pot Asian Pork served with broccoli and rice.
Korean BBQ Pork Kabobs with fresh summer vegetables.
Healthy Pork Stir Fry with fresh vegetables and brown rice.
Honey Grilled Pork Chops with only 4 ingredients are perfect for an easy summer meal.
Italian Pork Chops have a rich tomato basil sauce and are served over pasta.
Find lots more healthy pork recipes here on 2CM!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
NAM SOD (Thai Pork Salad)
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 fresh lime, juiced (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons red chile paste or roasted red chile paste is great too!
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, sliced thinly then halved
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger root, cut into small matchsticks
- ¼ cup cocktail peanuts
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Lettuce (choose Romaine as it has more health benefits than iceberg or cabbage leaves)
- Garnish: thinly sliced red bell peppers (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook pork and water until pork is thoroughly cooked. Make sure to break up as you are cooking it.
- Remove from heat and add next 3 ingredients. Stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for lettuce leaves. Stir.
- To plate, lay a large lettuce leaf on each of 4 plates. Divide salad between plates and serve. I like to add another topping of peanuts to the salad as garnish.
- You can serve with rice on the side or just as it is. Try rolling the salad in the lettuce leaves and serve with additional lettuce leaves for an even healthier meal.
This post has been updated and was first published on September 11, 2015.