A sweet & delicious banana bread with a surprise inside – Nutella! This Nutella Banana Bread has all the moist and delicious taste of a banana bread with loads of everyone’s favorite spread swirled throughout. Serve it as a special breakfast treat, a snack or top it with a chocolate glaze for a fabulous dessert.
I couldn’t wait to get around to sharing this delicious banana bread with you. My friend and neighbor Melanie brought this over during the Christmas season and everyone went wild over it. People usually think of having banana bread for breakfast or a mid-morning snack but this one can easily be served as a rich decadent dessert too.
It is deliciously moist and made all the better by the thick swirls of Nutella running through it. So naturally, I had to ask her for the recipe so that I could make it and share it with you. The original recipe was by Rachel Ray but she adapted it slightly by reducing the sugar content and adding some heart-healthy nuts. Way to go Melanie!
This season in South Florida has been good to us this year and we’ve gotten some good crops of herbs, vegetables and fruit. In fact, our banana trees are going wild and producing more bananas than my family and neighbors combined could possibly eat.
So after making my famous Banana Bread and Double Chocolate Banana Bread, it seemed like the perfect time to bake up a boatload of this lip-smacking Nutella Swirled Banana Bread and freeze for enjoying later in the season.
And this Nutella Banana Bread couldn’t be easier to make!
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas.
- Add eggs and oil to mashed bananas and blend.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir well.
- Divide batter into 2 bowls.
- Add Nutella to one half of batter and stir well.
- Add chocolate chips or nuts to other half of batter. This step is optional as you can leave the banana bread plain as well.
- Place spoonfuls of both batters alternately into prepared loaf pan.
- Swirl batters together with a knife then bake.
- Let cool in pan for 10-15 minutes then remove and let cool the remainder of the way on a wire rack. Once cool, you can drizzle the chocolate glaze on top.
Just look at all those swirls of flavor in that banana bread! The Nutella adds a rich hazelnut and chocolate flavor to the moist banana bread that makes it one special treat! I like to have a slice for a grab-n-go breakfast and even freeze it by the slice so it lasts longer.
Sit back, grab a cup of coffee and have a bite. Oh, it’s so good!
This sweet, delicious Nutella Banana Bread has everything you love about banana bread with a surprise inside, Nutella! Great for breakfast or dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour + a little for dusting pans
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Nutella or your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped nuts (optional)
- 4 squares semisweet chocolate or 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan with a non-stick cooking spray, then dust with flour. Or opt for mixing 1 Tablespoon melted butter, 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 Tablespoon of flour together and brush on pans with a pastry brush. It works great on uneven surfaces like a Bundt pan too!
- In a large bowl, combine the 4 dry ingredients together. In another bowl, mash bananas well and combine with eggs and oil. Add to dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter in half into 2 separate bowls. Combine 1 bowl with Nutella. Note: You can soften Nutella before adding by placing in the microwave for 10 seconds. Combine the other bowl with the nuts or chocolate chips, if desired.
- To assemble bread, drop scoopfuls of batters alternately in prepared loaf pan. Using a knife, swirl the batters together to create a marble effect.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes on wire rack, then invert onto rack to finish cooling.
Once cool, you can add the chocolate glaze below if desired.
- Place chocolate and butter into a microwave safe measuring bowl and melt in microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate is almost completely melted.
Stir until all chocolate is melted, then add powdered sugar and hot water. Mix well. If the glaze is too thick, additional water may be added 1 teaspoonful at a time.
Spoon chocolate glaze over the top of the bread and let drip down sides. Let sit until set.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!