This savory Bacon Cheddar and Onion Quick Bread is the perfect side for any dinner. No kneading, no rising, just quick & easy with plenty of cheese and bacon & just the right amount of heat!
Today I am guest posting over at My Cooking Spot and featuring this delicious savory Bacon Cheddar and Onion Quick Bread that is just to-die-for. I haven’t made many savory quick breads, sticking instead to my favorites like Nutella Swirled Banana Bread or Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread, but this one has changed my mind forever on savory breads – it was awesome! (really, I’m not kidding!)
It is so easy to make, requires no kneading or rising, and has just the right amount of heat. The heat comes from a jalapeno and a dash of cayenne pepper while the richness comes from buttermilk and cheese. And what could be better than the addition of bacon – after all, everything is better with bacon in it!
So hop on over to My Cooking Spot or check out the recipe below and see for yourself how you can make this delicious savory bread.
BACON CHEDDAR AND ONION QUICK BREAD
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup extra light olive oil
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- 1-1/3 cups Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and let drain on paper towel.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cayenne & salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs then add buttermilk and olive oil. Pour into dry ingredients and sitr until combined.
- Fold in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Let cool 10-15 minutes in pan then invert onto wire rack and let cool completely.
- Slice and serve.
If you like quick & easy breads, you might want to check these out too!