These Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies are easy to make & ooey gooey delicious. Deep rich chocolate cookies wrapped around a chocolate coated caramel then rolled in sugared nuts. I guess you could say they're like a molten lava cake in cookie form! Perfect to add to your holiday cookie tins.
Chocolate Caramel Cookies
I'm on a roll now with my holiday baking in full swing. Not only am I baking to make tins up for family and friends but for this year's Sweetest Season Cookies Exchange. It's so much fun to see what everyone else is baking. Check them out yourself on our Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange board and try to pick your favorites to whip up this season. Let me tell you, I'm just drooling over here!
I love cookies with caramel! I've baked Pecan Turtle Cookies, Take 5 Caramel Oatmeal Bars and Turtle Cheesecake Cookies (see what I mean!) but my favorite has got to be these Chocolate Caramel Cookies. This was one cookie my kids would always volunteer to help me make, whether it was because they snitched the Rolos and caramels (when I supposedly wasn't looking), or because they loved loved the final result. Maybe it was both!
It's so easy to make these Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies
Once the rich chocolate dough is folded around its surprise center, it's time to roll them into little balls. Dip them into the nuts and they're ready to bake.
But we didn't stop there! Nope! We took those baked cookies and drizzled them with more caramel, because there is never enough caramel, right? Oh I am so drooling now!
I have to warn you, these salted caramel cookies are downright dangerous! They are like eating a lava cake in cookie form. Just break one open and look at all that caramel just oozing out. Not to mention the dark chocolate and that sweet-salty combo. Makes me want to run to the kitchen and get one for a snack right now!
So what are you waiting for? I would start baking these right now! You'll be the hit of your office or neighborhood when you share them, and believe me they won't last very long! Of course, save some for your family and expect lots of extra hugs and kisses. 🙂
Christmas Cookies to Add to Your List
Peanut Butter Cup Cookies from 2CM
Orange Pistachio Biscotti from 2CM
Polar Bear Paw Print Cookies from Life Currents
Brazil Nut Snowballs from 2CM
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
SALTED CARAMEL CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Dark Chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 48 Rolos or other chocolate covered caramel candy
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 12 vanilla caramels
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream, half & half or light cream
- 2 Tablespoons coarse sea salt
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter for a minute or until creamy. Add sugars and continue to beat til smooth and well incorporated. With mixer still running, add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla.
- Turn mixer speed down and add flour mixture slowly and beat until well mixed.
- Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour. This will make it easier to form around candies.
- While dough is chilling, unwrap Rolos and place in freezer so they are firm and easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix chopped nuts and 1 tablespoon sugar together in small bowl.
- To assemble: Take a heaping tablespoon of dough and flatten with fingers. Place 1 Rolo in center and wrap dough around it. Then roll in hand to form a ball. Drop into nut-sugar mixture and roll around to coat. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, placing each cookie about 2" apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until tops start to crack. Remove from oven and cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are cool, prepare caramel drizzle. In a microwave safe measuring cup, place caramels and cream. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until caramels are melted and smooth. Drizzle over cookies then sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- When glaze has cooled, store in airtight container.