Easy Turkey Gravy
Now I wouldn’t call it a complete Thanksgiving or holiday meal without a spectacular turkey gravy. I mean what would mashed potatoes be without a little gravy?
I have my Mom to thank for this simple to make turkey gravy. She was famous throughout our family and neighborhood for this gravy and everyone always wanted to come to our house just to get it. She always made it seem like the easiest thing in the world to make and, with a few tricks, it can be just as easy for you.
After all, what is a gravy but a sauce made from the juices of meat and then thickened with flour or cornstarch to get the right texture. This recipe starts out with the juice from our Thanksgiving turkey, easily captured when your turkey is cooked in a cooking bag, which is then transferred to a saucepan after the turkey is finished cooking.
How to Make Turkey Gravy
- Take a large measuring cup or bowl and add 1/4 cup flour to it. To that, add just enough water to make a thin paste (see above to get an idea of the right consistency).
- This step is the important one. Take about 1/4 cup of the hot turkey drippings and add it to the paste to temper it. This brings the temperature of the paste up so, when added to the hot turkey drippings, it will not form lumps.
- Now whisk the paste into the remainder of the drippings in the saucepan and continue to whisk until it starts to thicken. That’s it! See how easy that was?!
Now you’ve got a nice thick gravy that’s delicious on top of our perfect mashed potatoes and our classic turkey dressing. No more worries – just sit back and wait for the oohs and aahs as they gobble everything up.
Happy Turkey Day!
All the Recipes You’ll Need for a Stress-Free Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving Day Planner
- Easy Thanksgiving Turkey in a Bag
- Classic Turkey Dressing aka Stuffing
- How to Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Traditional Green Bean Casserole
- Super Popular Sweet Potato Casserole
- Homemade Cranberry Orange Relish
- Easy Pumpkin Pie
- Thanksgiving Wine Pairings
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
SIMPLE and EASY TURKEY GRAVY
- Turkey dripping from 16-20 lb turkey
- Giblet stock optional
- 1/4 cup flour or cornstarch for gluten-free version
- Cream or milk (optional)
- Pour turkey drippings that have been caught in the cooking bag into a small to medium saucepan.
- Strain the drippings to remove any unwanted bones or pieces of fat.
- In a measuring cup, mix 1/4 cup flour and just enough water to make a thin paste.
- Add 1/4 cup turkey drippings into this paste to temper (bringing temperature up so that when added to hot liquid it will not form lumps). Once it is smooth and well mixed, whisk into remainder of turkey drippings in saucepan. Keep whisking until mixture starts to thicken.
- At this point, if the gravy is the consistency you want, just pour it into your gravy boat and serve.
- If you would like it a bit thinner or creamier, you can add some of the giblet stock (if you cooked them from the turkey) and, as an option, a little cream or milk. I don’t add the cream but it is up to you.