Disclosure: I received complimentary samples of Smokin’ O’s to create my Grilled Cajun Salmon with Cucumber Lime Salsa during #RecipeMakeover week. It’s a wonderfully tasty salmon with a smoky flavor and made springtime fresh with a topping of cucumber lime salsa. As always, the recipe and all opinions expressed here are 100% my own.
I am so excited this week since a group of us food bloggers are taking part in #RecipeMakeover Week. And yes, it is exactly what it sounds like! We’ll be remaking old calorie-laden recipes or creating new healthy ones to cut some calories from our diet. Why? Because swimsuit season is right around the corner, yikes how did it get here so fast, and we definitely want to shed a few of those winter pounds.
Today I took a recipe I love, grilled salmon, and added a tasty but healthy cucumber lime salsa. It is not only low in calories but light and fresh tasting – the perfect summertime BBQ dinner. But I got to add something a little different to this grill adventure, Smokin’ O’s! These little round pieces of wood work with gas grills to give that beloved smoky taste to whatever you are cooking.
Now I’ve tried plenty of the so-called wood smoke-flavor producing products but they have either not worked or were a pain to use. Smokin’ O’s changed my mind on how good a wood smoke product could work. And believe me, these little gems are so easy to use that you’ll want to use them any time you turn on your grill. They offer 3 flavors, original, mesquite and applewood wood varieties for gas grills, and I can vouch for the mesquite flavor but I’m excited to try the other 2 next time I grill out.
Here’s how they work. Place a wood smoke ring over a hot grill for 5-10 minutes. Move to coolest part of grill (with tongs) and grill as usual. Oh, the smoky scent it releases will just make your mouth water! And the salmon I cooked had the most delicious mesquite flavor, just like if I had grilled it over a wood fire. Woohoo! Was I ever stoked that this product worked this well. Now I can’t wait to try it with my Honey Garlic Pork Chops and Grilled Fish Tacos! Thanks for the great product Smokin O’s! Find out more about Smokin’ O’s here and follow on Facebook for some great grilling tips and ideas.
Just look at that delicious flaky fish, ummm, and that salsa, yes please!
Hope you enjoy this recipe plus all the fantastic ones my fellow food bloggers put together below. Come back for more each day this week – it’s going to be soooo good!
- 2 4-6 oz. fillets, skin left on one side
- Olive oil
- Cajun seasoning like Emerils
- 1 Smokin’ O’s BBQ Smoke Ring
- 1 plum tomato, chopped small
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped small
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 of a fresh cantaloupe, chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons mint, chopped fine
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes
- Mix all ingredients except avocado together and place in refrigerator to marinate flavors for at least 2 hours. Add avocado during the last 20 minutes then stir and serve. If it is not moist enough, a little more lime juice can be added.
- Turn grill to high, close cover, and wait until grill reaches 400 degrees. Place Smokin’ O’s Smoke Ring on the hottest part of the grill. Allow to heat up approximately 5-10 minutes with lid closed. It should be smoking by this time.
- Move ring to coolest part of grill.
- Lightly coat the flesh side of salmon with a little olive oil then sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Let temperature on grill raise to 450 degrees.
- Place salmon directly on hot part of grill, flesh side down, and cook for 8 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 4 minutes per side.
- When done, place your spatula between the skin and the flesh of the fish and life off grill. If you like the crunchy skin you can now take that off the grill as well.
- Serve with a small amount of salsa over each serving of fish. Serve additional salsa on the side.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!