Dinner has never been so easy! Cook up this tasty Tortellini with Italian sausage and spinach, smothered in a rich creamy tomato sauce, for the perfect weeknight dinner. There's no fuss, no mess, and it's on the table in less than 30 minutes.
FYI - This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All links are products I use when making my recipes.
Table of Contents
Quick and Easy Dinner Ideas
There are some nights, OK most nights, when I want something quick and easy for dinner after a busy day. I'm usually looking for something that I can throw together in one pan, like my Bacon Mac & Cheese Skillet or Ham & Zoodles in Cream Sauce, and the less clean up the better.
This Italian Sausage Tortellini dinner fits all my criteria, it was easy, it only used one pan and it was delicious!
Why You'll Love This Italian Sausage Tortellini Recipe
This is an aromatic tortellini recipe that's as appealing as it is flavorful! You'll fall in love with both how easy it is to make and how the flavors burst on your tongue. That's the magic of using fresh ingredients with a complex combination of spices.
Italian sausage, fresh spinach, cheesy tortellini, cooked with fresh onion and a creamy sauce. You can keep it low-fat by using half and half if you want.
The whole meal takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and has such and extraordinary flavor that your family will beg for you to make it again.
It also packs up well to bring to work for lunch and there is plenty left over for another meal.
- Cheese Tortellini - or sub in your favorite variety such as cheese & prosciutto
- Italian Sausage - can be mild or hot
- Olive oil
- Sweet yellow onion
- Chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Half & half - for a creamier version use cream, for lower fat sub in regular milk
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh baby spinach
- Fresh basil leaves
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Italian Sausage - You can use mild or hot Italian sausage. You can also substitute it with smoked sausage, kielbasa, or chicken sausage.
- Tortellini - Use refrigerated fresh tortellini. Cheese, three cheese, or spinach are all great choices.
- Tomatoes - If you want to use fresh chopped tomatoes instead of canned ones, you'll need to add more broth for the sauce.
- Half-and-Half - You can use heavy cream as well for a creamier sauce.
How to Make Tortellini and Sausage
- Heat olive oil in a skillet then add the onions and sausage.
- Break up sausage as it cooks and cook until done. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- To the skillet, add tortellini, tomatoes, chicken broth, half and half, and seasoning.
- Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes to cook the tortellini.
- Add spinach and stir.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
Serve Italian sausage tortellini topped with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Sausage Tortellini
- Bread - Crusty French Bread, Air Fryer Bread, or Garlic Bread.
- Salad - A simple green salad or Caesar salad.
- Vegetables - Air fryer Green beans, roasted broccoli, or cucumber tomato salad.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
To Store: Let the tortellini and Italian sausage cool to room temperature. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To Freeze: Let the tortellini and Italian sausage cool to room temperature. Transfer it to a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag. Store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight.
To Reheat: Place the tortellini sausage in a microwave-safe dish. Cover with a lid or microwave-safe wrap (parchment or wax paper works great). Heat on high for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir occasionally during heating to ensure even reheating. Alternatively, reheat it in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
More Delicious Skillet Dinners
- Tortellini with Chicken
- French Onion Chicken
- Skillet Shepherd's Pie
- Chicken with Orzo Skillet
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
Find lots of easy and delicious dinner ideas here on 2CM!
LOVE QUICK & EASY RECIPES? FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, & PINTEREST FOR ALL THE LATEST RECIPE INSPIRATION! PLUS JOIN MY EMAIL LIST AND RECEIVE A FREE E-BOOK.
Italian Sausage Tortellini
- 12-inch Fry Pan with lid
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage (you can sub mild as well)
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- ½ cup fat-free half & half
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 12 oz favorite fresh tortellini (I used 3 cheese variety)
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, packed tightly
- 1 ½ ounces Parmesan, shredded (optional)
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- In a large 12" skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sausage, breaking up sausage into small pieces, and cook until sausage is well done. Add garlic & cook an additional minute.
- Stir in next 6 ingredients. Make sure tortellini are covered by sauce so they cook evenly.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add spinach and stir until it wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
- If using Parmesan cheese, sprinkle on top, cover again and let sit off heat for 1-2 minutes. Top with basil leaves & serve hot.
This post has been updated with new photos and more information. It was first published on September 25, 2016.
Leave a Reply