A simple grilled salmon with orange sauce is an easy and tasty recipe for a busy weeknight or a special occasion. Just 10 minutes of prep and a stovetop sweet and tangy orange sauce turns this salmon fillet into a gourmet dinner.
Keep it light and healthy by serving Orange Salmon over brown rice with a side of broccoli and fresh fruit.
When I was younger my family didn't have fish very often due to my Mom's allergies so I didn't really develop a love for it until after I was married. Once my husband turned me on to all kinds of fish I was hooked.
And reading about all the health benefits sold me on the fact that it was important to include in our diet at least twice a week. Now salmon is one of our all-time favorites and we are always trying to find new ways to jazz it up. Although grilled as is suits us just fine too.
What Makes Salmon Healthy
Just look at the many health benefits that including salmon in your diet has to offer you! Full of omega-3 fatty acids that are critical to cardiovascular health, reducing high blood pressure and increasing brain function.
Salmon also contains proteins called bioactive peptides which improve bone density and strength. No to mention the high amount of Vitamin D which helps to reduce the risk of cancer, arthritis, and diabetes.
We try to fix meals in the healthiest way possible, grilling and baking most of the time and frying only occasionally.
This orange glazed salmon dish was adapted from a recipe found on The Café Sucré Farine where they pan-fried the fish. We chose to grill our fish and altered the sauce just slightly.
And now the salmon orange sauce has become such a favorite that we use it on just about anything and everything.
More Easy Seafood Dinners
- Asian Baked Salmon with maple glaze.
- Grilled Mahi Mahi in Foil with vegetables is a complete dinner.
- Salmon with Red Pepper Sauce is a light and healthy summer meal.
- Stuffed Salmon with Crabmeat is topped with cheese and great a hearty dinner.
- Grilled Sesame Tuna made with sushi-grade ahi tuna.
- Scallops with Basil and bacon served with pasta.
Find lots of healthy seafood recipes here on 2CM!
Grilled Salmon with Orange Sauce
- 2 salmon fillets
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup sake
- 2 teaspoons Tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 Tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, bring the orange juice, sake, soy sauce, garlic, orange marmalade, cayenne, chili sauce, lemon zest, rice vinegar and coconut to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has been reduced by about ⅓.
- Strain mixture, rinse pan and return sauce to pan. Cover and keep warm while grilling salmon.
- Preheat grill. Place salmon directly on grill and cook for 7-8 minutes per side, turning halfway through.
- During last 2 minutes of cooking fish, turn up heat on saucepan and add red pepper, cilantro and green onion and warm until heated through.
- Plate fish and drizzle sauce over fish. Serve immediately.
This post has been updated and was first published on April 19, 2015.