Warm up with this healthy broccoli cheese soup filled with broccoli, carrots, cashews and low-fat cheddar cheese. Perfect for cold winter days.
Cold weather is my favorite time to make soups. There just seems to be something comforting about a bowl of nice hot soup. And it brings back such warm memories of going ice skating at the pond down the street and coming home to a hot bowl of my Mom's homemade chicken noodle soup. Ah, I can taste it now!
I have logged in quite a few soups of my own while my kids were growing up and, besides the family's favorite turkey pastina soup and baked potato soup, and I would have to say this broccoli cheese soup comes in a close third.
So, of course, when I went grocery shopping this past week and saw the enormous heads of broccoli at a fantastic price, this soup just popped right into my head!
You have probably noticed that I recently got a Ninja blender since I have gone crazy trying to use my new blender with any and all recipes. The blender comes with a cookbook and I was delighted to see they had two recipes for creamy vegetable soups.
Since I love finding healthier ways to fix old favorites, these recipes brought a few extra veggies and nuts to the mix.
The addition of the cashews allowed me to forgo adding flour to thicken the soup (definitely saving on calories), and the carrots added more nutrition without really altering the taste. Now each bowl of this Broccoli Cheese Soup offers almost 2 servings of vegetables, a ton of protein and calcium as well as dietary fiber, antioxidants and good fats.
So I bet you're wondering how it turned out? Let me give you a hint. It was gone in just 2 days! I'd say that makes this a win-win. Next time I'll double the recipe and freeze some for later. 🙂 Enjoy!
Love Soup? Check These Out!
Vegetable Beef Soup using Soup Bones has deep flavor and alphabet noodles for extra heartiness.
Blender Tomato Soup with fresh basil is perfect any time of the year.
30 Minute Chicken Noodle Soup made with rotisserie or leftover chicken and fresh vegetables.
Find more soup recipes here on 2CM!
BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
- 4-6 cups fresh broccoli about 1 large head
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- ½ onion, roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours then drained (keep a few to the side for garnish)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups non-fat half-and-half
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 7 oz grated low-fat sharp cheddar cheese + additional for garnish
- 2 pcs Cooked crumbled bacon optional
- Fill a large saucepan with about 1-2" of water. Bring to boil. Place a steamer basket with broccoli and carrots into pan and cover. Let steam for 5 minutes then remove promptly.
- In a medium skillet, saute the onion & garlic in 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil and set aside.
- In Ninja pitcher, place soaked cashews and 1 cup broth. Select speed 1 and process til smooth.
- Add steamed vegetables and remaining ingredients, except cheese, to the cashew broth. Select speed 3 and blend together, increasing slowly to 5 until smooth. Transfer soup to the large saucepan, add cheese, then heat until cheese is melted and soup is hot and bubbly.
- Serve garnished with a sprinkling of cheese, a few cashews and some crumbled bacon.
This post has been updated and was first published on January 21, 2015.