This Mexican Pork Stew recipe is an easy 30-minute weeknight dinner that is pure comfort food. All the south of the border flavors you love, like black beans, smoked pork, and fire-roasted tomatoes swimming in a delicious salsa verde-spiced sauce.
Serve it with corn chips, warm tortillas, and sides of shredded cheese, chopped avocado, and sour cream for a tasty and thoroughly filling meal.
When chilly evenings set in, it's time for warm comfort foods like stews, soups, and casseroles. I love to make dishes like Greek Beef Stew, White Chicken Chili and Chicken Noodle Soup and now I'm adding this hearty Mexican Pork Stew made with leftover pork tenderloin for a change of pace.
This pork tenderloin stew has a great depth of flavor without being too spicy and it's amazing how quick and easy it comes together. Just 30 minutes from start to finish and you get a bowl of healthy deliciousness to warm you from the inside out. Plus, you get to use leftover pork tenderloin, say from Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin or Asian Pork Tenderloin, for a dinner that's completely different.
Don't have any leftover pork tenderloin? No problem! Just purchase some smoked pulled pork from your local BBQ joint or a package of Jack Daniels or Smithfield pulled pork. Of course, you can always make your own. Try this quick air fryer pork tenderloin and use half for one dinner and half for this pork stew recipe.
Why You'll Love This Pork Stew Recipe
- Quick, no-fuss dinner that takes just 30 minutes
- Easy to make and to clean-up
- Gluten-free and low carb
- Better the second day and freezes easily
- Perfect for the whole family with just a mild spice. Easily spiced up for those that like the heat.
Mild or Spicy - make it as hot or mild as you like. Salsa Verde comes in different heats so buy one that matches your preference. You can also add chopped jalapenos, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon chili powder or serve hot sauce on the side.
Beans - change out the black beans for pinto or kidney beans
Vegetables - add corn, either frozen or canned for a heartier meal.
Meat - change out the pork for chicken or beef, such as barbacoa beef
Potatoes - can be added for more bulk
Tex-Mex version - add ⅛ cup cornmeal at the end. (I like it better without it as it is pretty thick to begin with)
Ingredients for Mexican Pork Stew
Pork Tenderloin - adds a lean protein that can be leftover from a previous meal or purchase a smoked variety from your local grocery or BBQ restaurant
Salsa Verde - jarred salsa verde is easy to find and lends a mild Mexican flavor to the mix
Black Beans - make sure to drain and rinse canned beans prior to adding to the stew. The beans are a traditional addition to Mexican dishes.
Fire-Roasted Tomatoes - lend more smokiness to the dish. They are usually a little on the sweeter side from the roasting method.
Chicken Broth - is a mild-flavored base to let the smokiness and Mexican flavors stand out
Cumin - is a quintessential Mexican spice often used in taco seasonings. It lends a slightly bitter but smoky flavor to the stew
Onion/Garlic/Salt & Pepper - adds and enhances flavor
How to Make Pork Tenderloin Stew
- Place onions and garlic in a large stockpot and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Pour an entire jar of salsa verde into sauteed vegetables, stir and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add shredded pork tenderloin, rinsed black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes and cilantro to stockpot.
- Season with spices and salt.
- Add chicken stock.
- Stir and simmer for at least 10-15 minutes. That's it!
Serve this hearty comfort food Mexican Pork Stew with warm tortillas, chips, jalapeno bread, and sides of chopped avocado, sour cream, lime wedges, and shredded cheese. And FYI, it's even better the second time around! Enjoy!
More Comfort Food Recipes
Smothered Chicken Burritos - is a flavor-packed dinner filled with rotisserie chicken, refried beans, and cheese, then smothered in green chile enchilada sauce. Just perfect for when that Mexican craving hits!
30-Minute Seafood Stew - is quick, easy, and healthy. Chock full of fish, shrimp, and scallops with a seasoned tomato base, it's perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
Chicken Pot Pie with Puff Pastry from Pinch and Swirl - is a classic chicken pot pie with a light puff pastry on top, making it both simple and tasty.
30-Minute Taco Pasta Skillet - when you want Mexican fast, this easy pasta skillet with all your favorite taco flavors comes to the rescue.
One Skillet Shepherd's Pie - brings the "comfort" to comfort food. An all-in-one hearty dinner complete with vegetables and ground beef in a rich gravy and topped with creamy mashed potatoes.
Mexican Pork Stew
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 16 oz jar salsa verde
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lb cooked pork tenderloin shredded (I use my leftover tex-mex pork or air fryer pork tenderloin)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot.
- Saute onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add salsa verde and let simmer with onion-garlic mixture for several minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with avocado, sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips or corn muffins.