A homemade Cuban Chicken that tastes just like your favorite restaurant’s Pechuga a la plancha! Pan-fried chicken flavored with lime & mixed with sauteed onions & garlic – yum, dinner never tasted better!
We have a Cuban restaurant in our local area that simply makes the most fantastic Pechuga a la plancha or, in English, chicken breasts with sauteed onions. We don’t go often enough to fulfill my craving for this delicious Cuban chicken so I decided to go recipe hunting and find out how to make it myself.
It is really quite simple to make and it came out so well that I know I will be making it again soon. I served it with the traditional black beans and rice and maduros or fried plantains (except I baked mine to cut down on the calories). My husband said he enjoyed his dinner so much that he wants me to try several more of his favorite Cuban dishes. And I did! Check out this easy Crockpot Ropa Vieja or Crockpot Cuban Pork and get your Cuban on! Muy bueno!
CUBAN CHICKEN with ONIONS – PECHUGA A LA PLANCHA
- 1 to 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts ( 4 small breasts or 2 thick breasts cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 large onion sliced thin (I use Vidalia sweet onions)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6-8 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Place chicken in large Ziploc bag and pound with mallet until thin (about 1/4”-3/8” thick). Remove from bag and pat dry with paper towel.
- Sprinkle with a little lime juice then season on both sides with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Place the flour on a large plate and dredge the chicken breasts lightly with flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and cook onions for 8 minutes then add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes or until onions are soft and beginning to turn golden. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Turn heat on pan up to medium-high and add chicken. Cook on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Cut into one of the breasts to make sure that there is no pink inside.
- Place chicken breast on serving plate, cover with onion-garlic mixture and squeeze some fresh lime over it then garnish with cilantro.