A quick & easy dinner – just cook up sweet potatoes & mix with quinoa, turkey & bacon, flavor with maple syrup and voila – quinoa stuffed sweet potatoes!
I’ve got sweet potatoes to last me for the next month! I guess I bought a few too many for Thanksgiving – oops! I’ve made Sweet Potato Muffins, Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Kale, Quinoa & Sweet Potato Pilaf, all as sides, but now I want to make something that is more of a meal.
Sweet potatoes themselves are so healthy for you, providing carotenoids, a plant pigment that the body can turn into Vitamin A, antioxidants that may help prevent certain cancers and heart disease as well as strengthen the immune system, and they are an excellent source of Vitamin C, potassium and fiber. With all that going for these orange tubers, I think everyone should be eating more of them.
I found a slew of recipes on the web and just took pieces of different ones to make this delicious meal. And not only did I get to use some of my potatoes but I got to use some of my leftover turkey too! That’s a win-win! It was really easy to put together too – I combined quinoa with a little turkey then flavored it all with bacon, onions and maple syrup. Oh, and I topped it off with some shredded cheese. (If you didn’t know it yet, I am a huge cheese lover and, you know, cheese goes with everything, right?!) Meal in a potato skin – BAM!
A quick, easy & healthy lunch or dinner! Just cook up a sweet potato & stuff with a mixture of quinoa, turkey & bacon, flavor with maple syrup and voila - quinoa stuffed sweet potatoes!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 2-3 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 apple, chopped (optional)
- Dash of nutmeg or cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cooked turkey, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook sweet potato by poking holes in the skin with a fork or sharp knife then placing on paper towel in microwave. Heat on high for about 6 minutes for a 1200 watt oven or until tender. You can also cook in the oven at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
- While sweet potato is cooking, place quinoa and broth or water in small saucepan and heat to boiling, turn down, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel to drain. Add onions, apples and nutmeg to bacon grease and cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sweet potato from oven and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out contents and place in medium sized bowl. Be careful not to tear skin as you are going to use it as a bowl. Mash sweet potatoes.
- To mashed sweet potatoes, add maple syrup and salt & pepper to taste. Pour in quinoa, crumbled bacon, onion-apple mixture and turkey, if using. Stir well.
- Divide mixture between the 2 sweet potato halves. Sprinkle with cheese. You can either serve as is or place under the broiler to brown and melt the cheese.