These Self-Frosting Pumpkin Nutella Muffins are so easy to make and perfect for the season. Moist pumpkin pie flavored muffins baked up with the frosting already on them! You’ll have them on your plate and in your mouth in no time.
I always love when it’s time for our monthly Secret Recipe Club. If you need a refresher, our club is like a secret santa, where everyone is assigned a blog from our members and gets to choose any recipe they like to make and write about. This month I received Jean’s blog, The Tasty Cheapskate, where tasty and cheap work together. Don’t you just love that line!
This is the first time I’ve gotten to look over her blog and I’ve been enjoying not only the recipes but her writing style as well. Jean tells it like it is and is so down to earth that I’ll look forward to reading more of her kitchen escapades. jean says she never learned to cook as a child, having more important things to do like exercising, lookin’ good and other normal high school pursuits.
Somewhere along the way she developed a love of cooking and eating. But she’s always been a cheapskate and says she guesses it’s just in here bones. Her recipes reflect a wide range of choices from appetizers to meals, healthy options and delectable desserts. That’s what made it so hard to choose just one recipe to make for this post.
I loved her Crockpot Italian Chicken recipe that she got from her little brother and I’m going to keep that one in my back pocket for when I need it. Then there was her Salmon with Lime Butter , just the thought of that lime butter makes my mouth water, which I definitely plan on fitting in-between our favorites of Soy-Glazed Salmon and Grilled Salmon with Thai Basil Butter, but I guess I just wasn’t in the mood for fish. Ultimately it was the season that made my decision for me (and my love of Nutella) as I chose her Self Frosting Pumpkin Nutella Muffins.
And boy was that the right decision! Moist muffins (which could be called cupcakes) with a nice spicy pumpkin pie flavor covered with a frosting of Nutella that you actually put on before you bake them. So easy and so flavorful that I know it is going to be made at our house again and again. I had the guys at the office verify the outcome and they told me it was a no-brainer – they’re awesome! So enjoy the taste of the season and then check out more tasty recipes from our other members below.
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
SELF-FROSTING PUMPKIN NUTELLA MUFFINS
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (see below on how to make your own)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cardamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 egg (recipe called for 2 but 1 worked great)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5/8 cup vegetable oil
- 12 Tablespoons Nutella (make them heaping tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cavity muffin pan with nonstick spray or you can use muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients up to pumpkin. Stir well.
- In a medium bowl, mix together pumpkin, egg, sugar and vegetable oil. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill each cavity, dividing batter equally.
- Top with a heaping tablespoon of Nutella and swirl gently to cover entire surface, like you were putting on frosting and trying not to touch the pumpkin batter. I used a toothpick for spreading out to edges.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Try to avoid Nutella as it makes it difficult to see if the muffin is done. Mine actually took only 20 minutes to bake.
- Allow to cool about 15-20 minutes then gently lift out with knife or fork. Cool completely on wire rack.