This Breakfast Crunchwrap offers a quick and easy breakfast for home or on the go. A perfectly toasted tortilla filled with fluffy scrambled eggs, savory sausage, crunchy hashbrowns, and ooey gooey cheese makes a breakfast worth waking up for.
Table of Contents
Hearty Breakfast Recipes
Who doesn't love a good hearty breakfast? Starting your day with something that's warm, comforting, and delicious can start your day on the right foot. From savory quiches and oatmeal bakes to sweet muffins and pancakes, there’s always something to keep breakfast interesting.
So get out of your tired breakfast routine and whip up this make-ahead Sausage Breakfast Casserole or these small but tasty Breakfast Street Tacos. And don’t forget the kids with these fun-to-eat Breakfast Kolaches or easy Pancake Muffins.
Why You'll Love This Breakfast Crunchwrap Recipe
- If you enjoy a Taco Bell breakfast crunchwrap but don't want to go to the restaurant, it's easy to make at home
- Easy to customize with your favorite meats and cheeses
- Breakfast in its own edible wrapper makes it great for an on-the-go breakfast
- Quick and easy and, if you prep it ahead of time, it can be in your hand and ready to eat in about 5 minutes.
Flour tortillas - the large 10-inch burrito-size ones
Breakfast sausage - links, patties, or ground sausage
Hash browns - diced or shredded potatoes
Cheddar cheese - opt for mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or Mexican cheese blend if preferred
Salt & pepper
Hot sauce, salsa, or other sauce - optional
How to Make a Crunchwrap
Prepare potatoes, sausage, and eggs for the crunchwrap filling:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet and place frozen hash browns in the oil.
- Brown on both sides then pour into a bowl.
- Take any casing off the sausage and crumble it into the skillet.
- Fry until browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan to a bowl.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk until frothy. Season with salt and pepper then pour them into the hot skillet.
- Cook stirring constantly until done.
How to Assemble a Crunchwrap
Basically, you'll place the filling components on the tortilla to make the crunchwrap layers. Then make the classic crunchwrap fold into a Taco Bell pentagon, and finally toast it in a pan to seal the edges and make the outside nice and crispy. See the steps below.
Before assembling, warm the tortillas to make them more pliable and easier to fold without cracking or tearing. Here are three ways to warm tortillas:
- Heat them in a dry skillet for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side.
- Put up to 5 of them on a plate and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave them in 30-second intervals until they are warmed.
- Wrap them in foil and put them in a 350°F oven for about 15 minutes.
- Lay a warm or fresh soft tortilla on a flat surface. Scoop a small amount of eggs in the center and top with cooked crumbled sausage.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Add ¼ of the hash browns on top.
- Finish with salsa or hot sauce.
- To fold, turn up one side towards the center. Holding the edge down, pleat the edges toward the center to form a 5-sided pentagon that seals the packet. Place seam side down in a hot frying pan to seal the edges.
- Once browned, turn over and toast the other side.
- Don't overfill the tortillas or you won't have enough edge to overlap and seal the crunchwrap.
- Remember to first cook them seam-side down to seal the edges.
Make this breakfast crunchwrap your own with some easy additions or substitutions. Here are some ideas:
- Bacon Breakfast Crunchwrap - Use bacon instead of sausage.
- Steak Breakfast Crunchwrap - Use leftover steak or carne asada instead of sausage.
- California Crunchwrap - Swap the hot sauce with guacamole and add some fresh chopped tomatoes.
- Extra Crunch - Add broken tortilla chips or corn tostada shells.
Air Fryer Breakfast Crunchwrap
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
- Spray or coat the outside of the crunchwrap with oil.
- Place it seam-side down in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
What to Serve with Breakfast Crunchwraps
A breakfast crunchwrap is almost a complete meal in one tasty package. There's meat for protein, potatoes for a vegetable, and cheese for dairy. Here are some ideas to round it out:
- Beverage - coffee, tea, or milk
- Dipping Sauce
- Fresh Fruit
- Allow the cooked eggs and sausage to cool to room temperature. This will prevent them from steaming the tortilla and causing it to get soggy.
- Assemble, fold, and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. Store them in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, remove them from the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to 1 hour to get them to room temperature.
- Pan-fry them as directed.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
Storing: Allow the crunchwraps to cool to room temperature. Wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container or plastic zip-top bag. Refrigerate them for up to 4 days.
Freezing: Allow the crunchwraps to cool to room temperature. Wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or plastic freezer bag. Freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight.
Reheating: Reheat them in an air fryer at 370°F for 2 to 3 minutes per side, microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel on MEDIUM (50% power) in 30-second increments, or on the stove in a skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side.
More Quick & Easy Breakfast Recipes
French Toast Roll Ups in the air fryer
Baked Oats in the air fryer
Find more easy breakfast recipes on 2CM!
- 3 Tablespoons olive or avocado oil, divided
- 1 cup frozen hash browns
- 4 breakfast sausages crumbled
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella
- 4 flour tortillas
- Hot sauce or salsa optional
- Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive or avocado oil. Add the frozen hash browns and cook until browned on both sides. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add the uncooked sausage pieces and saute until cooked through. Remove from the pan and pour into a small bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl, Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet over medium heat and cook quickly, stirring constantly. This creates fluffy and evenly cooked scrambled eggs.
- Make an assembly line with the ingredients to create the wraps. Place a tortilla on a flat surface, add ¼ of the scrambled eggs, then ¼ of the sausage pieces, some cheese, and finish with ¼ of the hashbrowns.
- Sprinkle with salsa or hot sauce, if preferred. Fold the tortilla from the bottom first and then make pleats in a circle covering the filling and creating a pentagon-shaped wrap.
- Set aside and repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Heat a skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Place the tortilla, folded side down, in the skillet and cook until golden brown (usually a minute or two). Flip the wrap and brown the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining wraps, adding more oil if necessary.
- Serve warm.