This Carrot Cake Smoothie is one indulgence that won’t make you feel guilty! All the flavors of your favorite carrot cake with plenty of healthy sprinkled in!
Easter is just around the corner, which means eggs, chicks and bunny decorated recipes are popping up all over the internet. So with that in mind, and trying to keep it a little healthy before we indulge in those chocolate bunnies and jelly beans (who me?:-)), I thought something made with that favorite bunny food would be appropriate. You know what I’m talkin’ about! Those long orange veggies (oops, now they are white, yellow, red & purple too) that Bugs Bunny used to munch on as he casually said “what’s up doc?” – CARROTS!
Now I’ve made all sorts of delicious smoothies that sound decadent but are as healthy as can be, like my Cinnamon Bun Smoothie, Banana Pancake Smoothie and my Creamsicle Smoothie, so this one fits right in. It’s filled with protein, antioxidants and spices that your body will love as much as your taste buds.
Now check out more reasons why Bugs Bunny was one smart bunny.
- Classified as a root vegetable & weight loss friendly – 1 carrot has only 21 calories, is low in fat and contains no cholesterol.
- Rich in antioxidants including beta-carotene (with the highest amounts found in orange/yellow carrots) offering protection against risk of cardiovascular disease
- Great for eye health with the high concentration of beta-carotenes. Studies have shown that when carrots are consumed at least 2X per week it lowers the risk of developing glaucoma
- Rich in Vitamin A & carotenes which help to protect against skin, lung & oral cavity cancers
- Contains the antioxidant falcarinol shown to help fight cancers by destroying pre-cancerous cells in tumors
- High in Vitamin C which helps to maintain healthy connective tissue, teeth and gums
- Rich in Vitamin B-complex vitamins, potassium & other minerals which help control metabolism and blood pressure
Sounds like we need to start eating like a rabbit! And this smoothie is so delicious & nutritious that you just might want to have one to start every day! So here’s to your health!
- 6 oz vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 cup organic carrots, chopped
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup orange sections or about 1/2 large orange(can be frozen for a thicker smoothie)
- 1 Tablespoon pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons pure honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons shredded coconut
- Garnishes: chopped walnuts, shredded coconut, shredded carrots (maybe indulge in a little whipped cream to top it off)
Place all ingredients but garnishes in blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into mason jar or glass and garnish with your favorite toppings.