Melt-in-your-mouth Cherry Jam Thumbprint Cookies are easy to make shortbread cookies with a dollop of your favorite jam to sweeten up your holidays! Roll in toasted coconut and top with a red jam to bring a little color to your Christmas cookie tray.
Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies with Jam
I can't believe Christmas is only a week away! The time has flown by this year and I'm still trying to get all my baking done.
Are you in the midst of making all your favorites for the holidays? I may have a lot to do yet but these Thumbprint Cookies the Cherry Jam would be missed if I didn't make them.
These cookies are similar to shortbread cookies and super easy to make. They're buttery, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth cookies, flavored with vanilla and sweetened with a dollop of your favorite jam.
I covered mine in toasted coconut and pecans but the cookie is super yummy without as well.
How to Make Thumbprint Cookies with Jam
- Gather ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Separate eggs and set whites aside. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract and blend well.
- Add dry ingredients and beat until well blended.
- Prepare an assembly line of sorts with whisked egg whites in a wide-mouthed bowl and toasted coconut and nuts on flat plates. Line cookie sheets with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Roll dough into a ball and dip into egg whites then roll in toasted coconut or nuts.
- Place on cookie sheet and make a depression in the center of each one with the back of a measuring spoon.
- Fill with jam and bake.
Look how beautifully they bake up. A little crunchy outside with a soft creamy inside and topped with flavorful jam.
Take a bite and then hide some so there will be some left for you after they get devoured. Believe me, I know this from experience and you definitely wouldn't want to miss out on your fair share. 🙂 Enjoy!
Christmas Cookies To Add To Your List
Cathedral Cookies from 2CM
Key Lime Cookies from 2CM
Scottish Snowballs from Christina's Cucina
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies from 2CM
Plus join my email list and receive a free e-book.
Cherry Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- ⅔ cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup toasted coconut or toasted pecans, chopped garnish
- ⅓ cup cherry jam or your favorite flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, silicone mat or lightly spray with a nonstick spray.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until creamy & fluffy.
- Separate eggs and put whites aside.
- Continue beating while adding 2 egg yolks and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet and bet until well blended.
- Place whites in a wide-mouthed bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Place toasted coconut and/or chopped nuts on small flat plates.
- Using a small or medium cookie scoop, scoop out dough and roll into balls.
- Dip each ball into frothy egg whites then roll int desired garnish, either coconut or nuts.
- Place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Make a small depression in center with either the handle of a large wooden spoon or the back of a measuring spoon.
- Fill with jam.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes then move to wire racks to cool completely.
This post has been updated and was first published on December 19, 2018.