Bake up your favorite cinnamon bun in a cookie. These Cinnamon Crunch Cookies are crunchy, sweet and simply irresistible!
I love this time of month! It's time for our Creative Cookie Exchange and I can't think of a better time to share delicious cookie recipes with you than around the holidays. This month our group is celebrating cinnamon. Cinnamon is one of my favorite spices as it can be used for anything from savory, in a Chicken Mole, to sweet, like our Cinnamon French Toast Bake and everything in between. And, bonus, it's so good for you too!
Cinnamon is high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, reduces blood pressure and lowers the risk of heart disease. Holy cow! That's a lot of benefits! But seriously, we like it because it tastes so good. 🙂
It was really hard for me to decide what type of cookie to make where cinnamon is the star. Then I thought about one of my favorite cereals growing up - can you guess what it was? Yep - Cinnamon Toast Crunch - oh yum! So why not roll crumbled cereal up in a crispy cinnamon flavored cookie that's been sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and really push the cinnamon quotient off the charts.
Bingo! This was one delicious cinnamon cookie! You'll definitely be craving some way before they're cool (I snitched & they're good warm too). But you gotta wait, because you need to add that drizzle of vanilla icing as the perfect finishing touch. Did you notice how much they look like little cinnamon buns? Cute, huh?! Maybe that's what makes them so hard to resist!
I think you'd better hide these cookies, because they're so delicious they'll disappear before you know it. They're perfect for the holidays too and ship well.
Want more ideas for the holidays? Don't forget to check out all the other yummy cinnamon cookies from my blogger friends below.
CINNAMON CRUNCH COOKIES
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, crushed
- 1-¼ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until smooth & creamy, approximately 4 minutes.
- Turn down mixer and beat in eggs and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients.
- Add slowly to butter mixture until well incorporated.
- Shape into 2 logs, wrap in plastic wrap scattered with a bit of flour, place in refrigerator to firm up, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Crush cereal by placing in gallon sized ziploc bag and rolling with rolling pin. You want it to be crumbly.
- Whisk egg white & water together until frothy. Now you are ready to assemble.
- Remove one log from refrigerator and roll into a large rectangle, about ¼" thick.
- Brush top with half of egg white mixture. Sprinkle with half of cinnamon-sugar mixture then sprinkle with half of crushed cereal.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion in a tight roll and place on newly floured plastic wrap and return to refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Repeat with remaining log.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- Remove 1 log from refrigerator and cut into ¼" slices. Place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then lift off with spatula and place on wire rack to finish cooling.
- Repeat with remaining log.
- When cookies are cool, prepare glaze.
- Mix all ingredients for glaze. Whisk until smooth. You can control the thickness of the glaze by adding more or less sugar.
- Place in a plastic bag and make a small cut in corner or use an OXO Decoratoring Kit with small tip. Squeeze icing out in rows across cookies or swirl to make a iced top.
Are we the only ones who start craving cinnamon when the weather gets colder? We can’t be! And we are talking anything sold under the word cinnamon--cassia, “true Cinnamon”, Ceylon Cinnamon, Vietnamese Cinnamon--if it is sold as cinnamon it is what we want! Check out all of our cinnamon cookies below! Hint: A lot of them could be used for your holiday cookie table!
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Browned Butter Snickerdoodles by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Cinnamon Chai Shortbread by LiveBakeLove
- Cinnamon Chocolate Star Cookies by Baking Yummies
- Cinnamon Crunch Cookies by 2 Cookin' Mamas
- Cinnamon Dusted Orange Icebox Cookies by The Spiced Life
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Glaze by Our Good Life
- Cinnamon Pecan Elephant Ears by Noshing With The Nolands
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies by A Baker's House
- Cinnamon Sticks by Flours and Frostings
- Cinnamon Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Cinnamon Waffle Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Cinnamon Walnut Icebox Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cream Cheese Cinnamon Roll Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Polvorones by Oven Delights
- Speculoos by Upstate Ramblings