A seasonal favorite, this Peppermint White Russian cocktail is creamy, rich, and full of peppermint flavor. It has all the standard ingredients of vodka, Kahlua, and cream with an added twist of peppermint schnapps. Perfect to celebrate the holidays or to warm up this winter.
Table of Contents
One of my favorite cocktails for winter is a creamy White Russian. This Peppermint White Russian recipe adds a seasonal flair to the standard drink with minty peppermint schnapps. It's super easy to make and perfect for Christmas parties or for cozy evenings by the fire.
Christmas is full of holiday parties and seems like the perfect time to pull out all the stops and make Christmas cocktails that bring out that holiday spirit. Cocktails like my Christmas Bourbon Cocktail, Eggnog Martini, and White Christmas Margarita are always on the menu as is this White Russian with peppermint schnapps.
Why You'll Love This Holiday White Russian
Decadent - if you love rich and creamy, this cocktail is for you!
Tastes like a milkshake for adults or a thick iced coffee latte
Easy to make with just 4 ingredients
Alcohol flavor is not noticeable. It's a deceiving cocktail but it does pack a punch.
Rich coffee flavor for the ultimate coffee lover.
The minty flavor from peppermint schnapps balances out the sweetness of the drink.
Christmas flavor in spades! The peppermint schnapps takes this well-known cocktail and elevates it to the perfect holiday cocktail.
- Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
- Peppermint Schnapps
- Heavy Cream - you can also use half and half for a less caloric drink
- Agave Syrup - or get fancy and use a little vanilla frosting for the rim
- Peppermint Candy Canes
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
You can substitute the Kahlua with any brand of coffee liqueur.
Peppermint vodka can also be used but you'll need to omit the peppermint schnapps and add a ½ ounce of simple syrup to have the same sweetness.
You can use Creme de Menthe instead of peppermint schnapps. Note the drink will have a less minty flavor.
If you want a more slushy-like drink, use crushed ice.
How to Make a Peppermint White Russian
To decorate the glass, which is totally optional, dip the rim into agave nectar or a little vanilla frosting. Hold the glass upside down and wait 30-60 seconds for the syrup to gel a little, then dip the rim into a plateful of crushed candy canes.
- Fill the candy cane-rimmed glass with ice then pour in the vodka.
- Add Kahlua.
- Add peppermint schnapps.
- Slowly pour in the cream so that it makes a pretty pattern as the ingredients mix.
Add a candy cane for stirring and you are ready to celebrate. This Christmas cocktail recipe can easily be adapted. Want extra peppermint flavor? Up the quantity to 1 ounce. Want a creamier drink, add as much cream as you'd like. Cheers to a happy holiday season!
- Frozen Peppermint White Russian - Put the vodka, Kahlua, peppermint schnapps, and cream in a blender with ice. Blend and serve in a candy cane-rimmed glass.
- Peppermint Mocha White Russian - add 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup or ½ ounce of Godiva chocolate liqueur.
- Peppermint White Russian Martini - shake the vodka, Kahlua, peppermint schnapps, and cream in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Strain it into martini glasses rimmed with crushed candy canes.
- Whipped Cream Topping - go extra decadent and top the drink with whipped cream and a sprinkle of crushed candy canes.
If you are having a party, make a pitcher without the cream in advance and keep it in the fridge. You can easily change the number of servings in the recipe card below.
Rim the glasses with peppermint candy and set them on a tray with greenery, an instant bar centerpiece! Add the cream right before your guests arrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Both Kahlua coffee liqueur and peppermint schnapps are sweet. The cream also has a natural sweetness.
Yes. Milk is lighter and has less fat and calories than cream. If you use milk instead of cream, the cocktail will not be as creamy and rich.
Peppermint White Russian
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce Kahlua coffee liqueur
- ¾ ounce peppermint schnapps
- 1-3 ounces heavy cream
- Garnish: agave syrup or vanilla frosting
- Garnish: candy canes
- Finely crush candy canes by pulsing them in a food processor or by placing them in a heavy-duty plastic bag and smashing them with the smooth side of a meat mallet.
- Prepare the rim of the glass by dipping a low glass into agave syrup or vanilla frosting then into crushed candy canes. Fill the rimmed glass with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine vodka, Kahlua, and schnapps. Shake well and pour it into the glass. Note: You can also make the cocktail directly in the glass.
- Pour cream over the mixture. You can adjust the amount of cream to your liking.
- Serve with a candy cane as a stirrer.