Our healthy black bean salad is full of all the Mexican flavors you love – black beans, cilantro, lime & avocado. And even better, it’s easy to make too! Have it for a healthy lunch, dinner side or an entire protein-rich meatless meal.
Southwest Black Bean Salad
Once a week my husband and I like to have a meatless meal for a nice change of pace (and it’s healthy too). Black beans are an excellent source of protein, with 1 cup supplying about 30% of your daily protein requirement, so they are one of our go-to options. Their nutrition value doesn’t end there either. Black beans contain high percentages of iron, folate as well as fiber, and provide health benefits to the colon and digestive tract. So, how can you go wrong?!
Studies show that you should be eating at least 3 cups of legumes a week for optimal health and this dish goes a long way in helping you reach those goals.
Black Bean Salad with Avocado
Now I know you’re thinking, black beans, I can take them or leave them, but wait! What if I tell you it’s like Mexico in a bowl. (I just can’t get enough of Mexican dishes) This oh so yummy salad has all the flavors you love – cilantro, lime juice, cayenne to add a zip, and avocado to add in some healthy fats. Not to mention tomatoes, peppers and corn. I’m telling you, you’ve got to try this amazing salad, maybe even tonight! It is just over the top delicious!
More Delicious Salad Choices
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad from 2CM
Winter Kale & Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
Roasted Corn Salad from 2CM
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15.25 oz can sweet organic corn, drained (of which you use about 3/4 can)
- 1 orange, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 Tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 lime, juiced (about 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped + additional for garnish
- 1 Haas avocado, chopped
- Mix all of the above ingredients together, except avocado, and place in refrigerator for flavors to mix for about 6 hours.
- To serve: Prepare avocado and gently mix into salad. Let sit for an hour at room temperature, garnish with additional cilantro, and serve.
Total time does not include marinating time. By rinsing or soaking the beans you can reduce the flatulence-related substances by as much as 33%. Adapted from Once Upon A Chef