These savory cheese muffins are the perfect side dish to any dinner. They’re easy to make, moist and packed with the flavor of 2 cheeses. ‘Nuf said!
I think I have always loved to bake! I grew up baking with both my mother and my grandmother and loved to anticipate the aromas that might be coming out of our kitchen when I got home from school. It was always something delicious from fresh bread to blueberry pies to New York cheesecakes and everything in-between.
As for myself, I love anything baked but I’ve always had a soft spot for sweet muffins, like our Blueberry Streusel Muffins, Banana Strawberry Muffins or Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins but, then again, I hadn’t seen too many savory muffin recipes that even tempted me to try them. The family just seemed to prefer bread or rolls like our Parmesan Knots or Rosemary Bread with our dinner so there didn’t seem to be a place for a savory muffin on our table.
However, while surfing the web, my eyes came to a screeching halt when I spied this recipe for Savory Cheese Muffins and thought, well, why not give them a try. After all, the muffins were filled with lots and lots of cheese- I know, I know, say no more!
Well, let me tell you, this recipe turned out to be so deliciously moist & savory that I knew it was going on my “best recipe list” for sure. In fact, I thought we would go through the entire batch in one sitting. It was that good! We paired ours with a grilled salmon dinner but I think they would go with just about anything.
You’ve got to bake these up first chance you get! No kidding, they are that good! It’s a quick recipe to make, bakes in 20 minutes and freezes well too. So give them a try and let me know what you think.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of your choice
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup green onions, minced
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, milk and egg. Pour into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Stir in green onions, 1 cup cheddar and 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese. Reserve the remaining cheese for top of muffins.
- Divide batter between muffin cups. I actually got 10 muffins so it depends on the size of your pan. Sprinkle tops with cheese.
- Bake in oven for 17-20 minutes or until tops just start to brown. Remove from oven, run a silicone spatula around the outside to loosen any melted cheese then remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool. Or eat them right away as you’ll find them impossible to resist!
Original recipe from Some the Wiser
Are your favorite muffins savory or sweet?