This Strawberry Thyme Lemonade tastes amazing, made with or without vodka, fresh strawberries, refreshing zesty lemon and a touch of thyme. It will help you beat the summer heat & have you cooling down in no time!
There are so many advantages to living in Southern Florida, beautiful beaches, azure blue skies, palm trees, eating outdoors most of the year but, when the summer heat hits, you better have a host of refreshing drinks, like this Strawberry Thyme Lemonade, sitting in the fridge to cool you down.
This summer sipper is easy to make although it takes a little time to make the simple syrup. But the taste is well worth it! It gives it a nice herbal edge that your normal lemonade is missing. I guess you could say it lends a gourmet touch to regular lemonade. Not to mention the strawberries! We have them by the boatloads in the store now and Costco has a huge container that is inexpensive and just begging me to buy and make something yummy with it.
There are so many things to make with strawberries that it is always hard to choose. So I usually make them all in the span of a few months. You know, things like Strawberry Shortcake, Red, White & Blue Salad and Strawberry Spa Water. But now that the thyme in my garden is going crazy, I thought this cool beverage would be perfect! I made mine with vodka but you can easily leave it out for a go-to drink all day long. Either way, it’s amazing!
You’ve just got to give it a try and I guarantee you’ll be cooling down in no time!
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 1 cup water
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled & sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 5 cups water
- Vodka (optional)
- Garnish: thyme sprigs, strawberries, lemon slices
- To make simple syrup, place sugar, thyme sprigs and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and heat, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved.
When sugar has dissolved, remove pan from heat and let cool. Once cool, discard thyme sprigs.
- To make lemonade, combine the simple syrup with remaining ingredients, except vodka, in a pitcher and place in refrigerator to cool.
- When ready to serve, pour into glasses filled with ice, add a splash of vodka, if using, then garnish with a slice of lemon, a strawberry and a sprig of thyme.
Total time does not include making simple syrup. It should be made ahead and allowed to cool.