Bundles of earthy-sweet, crunchy asparagus wrapped in smoky bacon - this recipe for air fryer bacon-wrapped asparagus is a crispy, savory bite perfect for an appetizer or dinner side. It's the best way to cook asparagus so that everyone loves it!
FYI - This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All links are products I use when making my recipes.
Table of Contents
- Air Fryer Vegetables
- Why You'll Love Air Fried Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Is Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Healthy?
- How to Choose the Best Asparagus
- How to Trim Asparagus
- How to Cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in Air Fryer
- How Long to Cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in Air Fryer
- Recipe Tips
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the Oven
- Recipe Variations
- What to Serve with Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- What Goes with Bacon Wrapped Asparagus?
- Make Ahead
- How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
- Popular Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Vegetables
Air fryer asparagus cooks quickly and you don't have to wash any extra pots or pans. It's one of my favorite ways to cook this green vegetable - and it's even better when they are wrapped in bacon. Because, let's face it, everything is better with bacon!
Why You'll Love Air Fried Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
This bacon wrapped asparagus recipe is so easy that you'll have dinner ready in no time at all. Plus, you won't have to sit over a hot stove or turn on the oven.
Using the air fryer is the best way to cook bacon wrapped asparagus. It makes them perfectly crispy without over or undercooking them.
Plus, when you top them with sesame seeds, you'll make an elegant side dish or appetizer that you'll be proud to show off to your friends.
This recipe isn't just tasty and easy, it's also low-carb and keto too. In order to keep the carb count really low, make sure the dressing is low-carb and keto-friendly too.
Is Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Healthy?
Yes, air fryer crispy asparagus with bacon is packed with nutrients! Not only is bacon is great source of protein, but asparagus is high in vitamins A and C and a wonderful source of fiber, too.
For fewer calories and fat, turkey bacon wrapped asparagus is a great option.
Only a few simple ingredients are needed for cooking bacon wrapped asparagus in an air fryer. Note there's a printable recipe card with the ingredient measurements at the bottom of this post.
- Fresh Asparagus Spears
- Bacon - regular sliced rather than thick-sliced bacon cooks up crisper.
- Bottled Italian Dressing
- Sesame Seeds
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
How to Choose the Best Asparagus
Check for bright green stalks that are plump and firm to the touch. The tips of the asparagus should also be firm, compact, and closed. Asparagus kept with the ends in water at the store will tend to be better and fresher.
If bundled, the full bundle should be able to stand upright.
How to Trim Asparagus
Hold each spear at both ends and bend it until it snaps.
Why snap off the asparagus ends? You do this to remove the woody part which has a tough stringy and fibrous texture.
How to Cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in Air Fryer
The process of how to prepare asparagus bundles for cooking in an air fryer is quite easy. There are only a few simple steps to make this delicious dish.
- Place washed and trimmed asparagus in a bowl and drizzle Italian dressing over it. Toss to coat.
- Bundle three stalks of asparagus and wrap a slice of bacon around them starting at the bottom.
- Place on a platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Asparagus ready to be air fried.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F for 5 minutes. Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket and carefully lay bundles of asparagus into it. Do not crowd them. You may have to do the cooking in two batches.
- Air fry the asparagus for 12 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Remove from air fryer and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
This air fryer asparagus is not only delicious as a side dish but makes a fantastic appetizer as well. It is sturdy and can easily be eaten as finger food. Whatever way you decide to serve it, just know it goes fast! Enjoy!
How Long to Cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in Air Fryer
The air fryer temp for asparagus is 390°F.
The length of time it takes to air fry asparagus wrapped in bacon can vary depending on the thickness of the asparagus. It can range from 8 minutes for super thin spears and 14 minutes for super thick asparagus.
The average air fryer asparagus time is about 10 to 12 minutes. Start checking for doneness at around 8 minutes.
The asparagus is cooked when it is crisp-tender and not mushy. You can check for doneness by piercing the thickest part of the asparagus spear with a fork or knife. If it slides in easily, the asparagus is cooked.
- Use regular or thin sliced bacon. Avoid thick-cut bacon because you’ll end up with undercooked bacon or overcooked asparagus.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. I usually cook 4 bundles at a time.
- Make sure to place your bundles in a single layer in the air fryer basket. This will ensure the heat is circulating around the bundles giving an even cook.
- Cooking time may be a few minutes more or less depending on the thickness of the asparagus stalks.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus in the Oven
If you don't have an air fryer, you can cook this asparagus with bacon in an oven. Place them spaced apart on a wire rack over a baking sheet so the air circulates around them. Bake at 400°F for about 30 minutes.
- Brown Sugar – Sprinkle and press brown sugar on the bacon. Wrap it so the brown sugar side is on the outside.
- Maple Syrup – Brush maple syrup over the bacon before air frying.
- Pancetta - Use pancetta which is an Italian Bacon that is salt-cured but not smoked.
- Purple or White Asparagus is also great to use. Look for these special ones at the market - they are only available a certain times of the year.
- Spicy - add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the dressing.
- With Cheese - sprinkle some cheddar cheese on the asparagus before wrapping it with bacon.
- With Cream Cheese - Spread cream cheese on the bacon before wrapping. Wrap it so the cream cheese side is on the inside.
- Without Italian Dressing - Simply wrap the asparagus spears with bacon without marinating it in the dressing.
What to Serve with Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
You can serve air fried asparagus with sauce for an appetizer. Remoulade, creamy lemon dip, garlic aioli, and dijonnaise (Dijon mustard and mayo mixture) are great options and any of them make a great dipping sauce for this elegant appetizer.
What Goes with Bacon Wrapped Asparagus?
If you're wondering what to eat with this bundled asparagus, there are many main dishes that pair well with this side dish.
- Air Fryer Filet Mignon
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Grilled London Broil
- Honey Roasted Turkey Breast
- Maple Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
You can prep the asparagus by soaking it in the dressing and then wrapping it with bacon. Store the wrapped bundles in an airtight container or plastic ziptop bag.
When ready to air fry, take them out of the fridge about 30 minutes prior to cooking. Then air fry as directed in the recipe.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
To store air-fried bacon-wrapped asparagus leftovers, allow them to cool to room temperature then place them in an airtight container or plastic ziptop bag. Refrigerate the leftovers for up to 3 days.
To freeze leftovers, allow them to cool to room temperature and place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
To reheat, air fry at 350°F for 2 to 4 minutes. You can also reheat them in the oven on a wire rack over a baking sheet at 300°F until warmed through.
Popular Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Kabobs
- Air Fryer Meatballs
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Ravioli
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Find lots of delicious and easy air fryer recipes right here on 2CM!
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 18 stalks fresh asparagus
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F for 5 minutes.
- Wash and trim asparagus.
- Place into a large bowl and pour salad dressing over them. Toss until they are well coated.
- Separate into bundles of 3 pieces each. You will have 6 bundles.
- Wrap each bundle in a slice of bacon. Start wrapping at the bottom and continue diagonally upwards.
- Place on a plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Spray the air fryer basket and place the bundles carefully in the bottom. Do not overcrowd. You may need to cook them in two batches.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
- Remove to a platter and grate a little parmesan cheese over all. Serve hot.