Just as crispy as deep-fried, this air fryer onion rings recipe is perfect! You won't have to make any tweaks; they always come out crunchy every single time.
This is the best onion rings air fryer recipe you will ever make. Serve them at your next party or add them to your plate when you grill some burgers. Air Fried Onion Rings are bursting with so much flavor, you don't even need a dip.
Table of Contents
- Homemade Onion Rings in Air Fryer
- Why This Recipe Makes The Best Air Fryer Onion Rings
- How to Make Onion Rings in Air Fryer
- Recipe Tips
- Recipe Variations
- Variations for Diet Preferences
- What to Serve with Onion Rings
- How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat Leftovers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Air Fryer Recipes
Homemade Onion Rings in Air Fryer
Can you cook onion rings in an air fryer? Why yes, you sure can! In fact, air fried onion rings are actually better for you than deep-fried. There is a lot less saturated fat in these onion rings when you make them in the air fryer.
I love using my air fryer. It's one of the most versatile kitchen appliances I own - there are so many different things you can make in it. I've made zucchini fritters, asiago bagels, and even Italian meatballs in it. It always cooks everything perfectly, and is so easy to use, that kids can cook with it.
Why This Recipe Makes The Best Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Extra cripsy. The combination of flour and Panko breadcrumbs gives the onion rings a really crispy coating.
- No grease. Since they aren't deep-fried, your hands won't get all greasy.
- Flavorful. Paprika, garlic powder, and salt lend their flavor to the final result.
- Easy last-minute recipe. The most time-consuming part of this recipe is cutting the onions. You can make these onion rings right before guests arrive.
- No mess. You don't have to worry about grease all over your stove.
- Sweet Onion
- All-purpose Flour
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
2CM Tip: Don't have buttermilk? Make it by placing 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and adding enough milk to make 1 cup.
How to Make Onion Rings in Air Fryer
Bread The Onion Rings
- Whisk eggs in a wide-mouthed bowl.
- Add buttermilk.
- Whisk well.
- In a wide-mouthed bowl, combine panko, paprika, garlic powder, and salt.
- Now make an assembly line. You should have one plate with flour, a bowl of the egg-buttermilk mixture, and a bowl of seasoned panko crumbs.
- To prepare onion rings, blot sliced rings with a paper towel so they are dry. Dredge in flour.
- Then dip into the egg-buttermilk mixture.
- Finally, place in seasoned panko crumbs and coat all sides.
- Ready for the air fryer.
Pro Tip: Use several forks for prepping onion rings for a less messy option. One fork for the dry ingredients and one for the wet ingredients.
Air Fry The Onion Rings
- After preheating the air fryer to 370 degrees, spray the basket then place the coated onion rings in the air fryer basket. Spray the tops of the onion rings well.
- Cook for 9-11 minutes. No turning is necessary. You will need to cook in batches as you need to leave enough room in between the rings so they brown evenly.
Serve these crispy onion rings with your favorite dipping sauce for a delicious appetizer or pair them with your favorite dinner.
I love to serve these homemade air fryer onion rings with ketchup but a bloomin' onion sauce, ranch dressing, BBQ sauce, or this sriracha dipping sauce from best appetizers, is also delicious.
- Get extra crispy onion rings by spraying them again halfway through air frying.
- Keep onion rings warm by placing them on a wire rack on a baking sheet and in the oven at the lowest temperature setting. Or after you've cooked all the batches, place the onion rings in the air fryer basket and air fry at 350°F for two minutes.
- Change up the flavor: Substitute paprika with your favorite spice or seasoning.
- Air Fryer Onion Rings without Breadcrumbs: Substitute the bread crumbs with crushed pork rinds or coarsely ground almond flour.
- Air Fryer Onion Rings without Buttermilk: Substitute it with milk, either regular or non-dairy.
- Air Fryer Onion Rings without Panko: Substitute it with regular breadcrumbs or cornmeal. Note they won't be as crispy and crunchy.
- Air Fryer Onion Rings without Flour: Omit the all-purpose flour or substitute it with cornstarch.
Variations for Diet Preferences
- Gluten-Free Air Fryer Onion Rings - substitute the all-purpose flour and panko with gluten-free alternatives. You can also use crushed pork rinds instead of panko.
- Keto Air Fryer Onion Rings - to make low-carb onion rings, substitute the all-purpose flour with coconut or finely ground almond flour. Substitute the panko with crushed pork rinds.
- Vegan Air Fryer Onion Rings - substitute the egg with a starch slurry (1 part cornstarch and 2 parts cold water) or "flax egg" (1 part ground flax and 2 parts water). Substitute the buttermilk with vegan sour cream thinned with water until it reaches the same consistency as buttermilk.
What to Serve with Onion Rings
These are a classic bar and grill side or appetizer. Serve them with a juicy Rodeo Burger or your favorite turkey burgers with all the toppings. If you are serving them as an appetizer, add some crispy baked chicken wontons to the table too. Or make a finger-food lunch and make this air fryer onion rings recipe with some BBQ chicken skewers.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat Leftovers
- How to Store Leftover Homemade Onion Rings: Store them in an airtight container or plastic ziptop bag in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
- How to Freeze Homemade Onion Rings: Allow them to cool to room temperature. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze and then transfer the frozen onion rings to a freezer-safe airtight container or plastic freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- How to Reheat Onion Rings Refrigerated Leftovers: Reheat them in the air fryer at 370°F for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
- How to Reheat Frozen Onion Rings: Reheat them in the air fryer at 350°F for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can slice the onion anywhere between ¼ to ½ inch thick. Thinner ones will take less time to air fry but I find the ½-inch ones stay moister and brown more evenly.
Sweet onions make the best onion rings. Use Vidalia, Texas, Maui, or Walla Walla onions.
No, you do not have to flip onion rings while air frying them.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Kabobs with vegetables.
- Air Fryer Ravioli are crispy and great for an appetizer.
- Air Fryer Pepperoni Grilled Cheese is a really quick and tasty lunch.
- Air Fryer Salmon with a delicious lemon butter sauce.
- Air Fryer Shrimp are crispy and perfectly seasoned.
Find lots of healthy and easy air fryer recipes here on 2CM!
Air Fried Onion Rings
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in ½" slices and separated into rings
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika, regular or smoked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- You are going to make an assembly line. First place flour on a flat plate.
- Next, in a wide-mouthed bowl, combine panko, paprika, garlic powder, and salt.
- Finally, whisk eggs and buttermilk in another bowl.
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees for 4-5 minutes.
- To prepare onion rings, blot sliced rings with a paper towel so they are dry.
- Dredge each ring in flour, then dip into egg-buttermilk mixture then seasoned panko crumbs.
- Place onion rings in the air fryer basket that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Spray tops of onion rings well and cook for 9-11 minutes. You will need to cook in batches so that you leave enough room in between the rings so they brown evenly.
- Serve with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce.
- How to Store: Store them in an airtight container or plastic ziptop bag in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
- How to Freeze: Allow them to cool to room temperature. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze and then transfer the frozen onion rings to a freezer-safe airtight container or plastic freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- How to Reheat Refrigerated Leftovers: Reheat them in the air fryer at 370°F for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
- How to Reheat from Frozen: Reheat them in the air fryer at 350°F for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.