Sweet Banana Chocolate Chip Smoothie Muffins are like eating a healthy smoothie minus the glass. They’re simple to make and have no sugar, no eggs and are gluten and dairy-free too! They are as sweet as can be and full of protein, fiber and potassium. They’re sure to get your day started on the right foot.
Yep, smoothie muffins! A delicious, no sugar added, healthy muffin made just like your favorite smoothie.
Now you are probably wondering how I came up with this crazy idea in the first place. Well, I had to rush out one morning, minus breakfast, and the sluggish feeling I had all morning long was not something I want to feel again. I wanted to make something that was good for me but that I could just grab and go, hence, these muffins.
I started with my usual smoothie ingredients, bananas, yogurt, peanut butter, almond milk, vanilla extract and a scoop of protein powder. To this I added ingredients one would find in any oatmeal muffin such as oats, baking powder and cinnamon.
Since bananas can take the place of eggs and butter, I didn’t need any dairy, which was a nice side effect I wan’t even counting on. I also didn’t want to add sugar so I opted for unsweetened applesauce, which can also take the place place of butter or oil in baked goods. So I was doubly covered on that end. 🙂
That not only makes these muffins healthy but gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free. Woohoo! They still provide plenty of protein, fiber and potassium, as well as other important vitamins and minerals.
It only takes 1 bowl, a total of about 30 minutes and you have breakfast for the week. They freeze really well and only need 30 seconds in the microwave before you can gobble them up. Now, if you’re not too worried about your sugar intake you can sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top just to make them pretty. (’cause they are plenty sweet the way they are). So what are you waiting for? Go bake some of these muffins and get ready for bikini season that’s just around the corner.
- 2 cups mashed bananas, about 3 large bananas
- 5.3 oz plain dairy-free yogurt (feel free to use Greek yogurt if dairy doesn't bother you)
- 1/2 cup almond milk or your favorite milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 3 cups gluten-free oats
- 1 scoop protein powder (make sure it is gluten-free with no sugar added)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup carob chips (Feel free to use mini chocolate chips but know they have sugar added)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine bananas, yogurt, milk, applesauce and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Add peanut butter and mix until well combined.
- To this mixture, add remaining ingredients except for carob chips and stir.
- Fold in carbo chips.
- Divide evenly between 12 muffin cups You might actually have enough for 14 muffins depending on size of pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!