Remake a childhood favorite dessert! This rich and creamy banana milkshake is a cool, refreshing treat for any time of year. It’s a simple recipe filled with bananas, rich ice cream, and milk and takes a mere 5 minutes. It’s so delicious you won’t be able to resist!
FYI - This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All links are products I use when making my recipes.
Table of Contents
- Creamy Milkshakes and Smoothies
- Why This is the Best Banana Milkshake Recipe
- Ingredients for Banana Milkshake
- Equipment Needed
- How to Make a Banana Milkshake
- How to Make a Banana Milkshake Without a Blender
- How to Make a Banana Milkshake Without Ice Cream
- Recipe Tips
- Recipe Variations
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Banana Recipes
Creamy Milkshakes and Smoothies
When you want to indulge in a tasty dessert, a banana shake is always a perfect choice. All you need are a few ingredients and a blender. You are mere seconds away from the best banana milkshake you have ever made!
Whether it's hot outside or you're just craving a frozen treat, milkshakes always hit the spot. And you know anything frozen like this indulgent banana ice cream shake is just so refreshing.
Other cool treats include these raspberry lemonade popsicles, chocolate-covered key lime pie bites, or something that is a bit healthier like Orange Creamsicle Smoothies, chocolate smoothie pops, or one of my favorites, chocolate-covered bananas.
Why This is the Best Banana Milkshake Recipe
This healthy banana milkshake is so easy to make that you'll probably have the recipe memorized after you make it one time.
That's because it uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge or freezer.
Plus, this healthy shake has loads of variations, too! It's a basic recipe that you can change to match your cravings.
Ingredients for Banana Milkshake
- Ice Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Garnishes - Whipped cream, cherry, sprinkles, banana chips, etc.
Fresh or Frozen Banana?
You can use either. The important part is to use fully ripe bananas for the best flavor and sweetness. Use bananas that have some brown spots but are not over-ripe (completely black and mushy).
Frozen bananas will make a thicker, creamier shake. However, older or low-powered blenders may have difficulty blending frozen bananas. In that case, use fresh bananas.
Do not use ice because it will water down the milkshake.
How to Make a Banana Milkshake
Making a banana milkshake with ice cream is so easy!
- Place ice cream in a blender. If it is really frozen, allow it to rest in the blender for 5-10 minutes so it will blend better.
- Add frozen bananas.
- Pour in milk.
- Add vanilla extract. This can be omitted but it does enhance the overall flavor.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass or a mason jar.
Top this refreshing and delicious banana shake with whipped cream and plenty of sprinkles then top with a cherry for the piece de resistance!
How to Make a Banana Milkshake Without a Blender
You can mix up a banana milkshake in other ways than a blender:
- Food Processor
- Hand Mixer
- Hamilton Beach DrinkMaster
- Hand - Just let the ice cream soften enough so you can mix it with a heavy spoon.
How to Make a Banana Milkshake Without Ice Cream
- 2 frozen bananas - unlike one with ice cream, the bananas need to be frozen.
- ½ to ¾ cup of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon of white granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Whole milk will result in a creamier milkshake. For extra creaminess, use half-and-half or heavy cream.
- Soften the ice cream by letting it sit in the blender for 5 to 10 minutes before adding the other ingredients and blending.
- Add more milk to thin out a milkshake.
- Serve in cold glasses or insulated glasses to keep the milkshake cold longer.
There are so many options to make a banana milkshake with other flavors!
- Avocado Banana - Add half of an avocado.
- Banana Almond Milkshake - Add ¼ cup of almonds and ¼ teaspoon of almond extract.
- Banana Apple - Substitute one of the bananas with ½ or 1 apple.
- Berry and Banana - Add ½ cup of mixed berries.
- Banana Blueberry Milkshake - Add ½ cup of blueberries.
- Banana Caramel - Add ¼ cup of caramel sauce. Drizzle the inside of the glass with caramel sauce.
- Banana Coconut - Use coconut milk instead of regular milk. Add ¼ cup of sweetened coconut flakes.
- Coffee and Banana - Add ½ cup of cold coffee or 2 shots of cold espresso.
- Banana Cream Pie Milkshake - Add ½ cup of graham cracker crumbs.
- Date with Bananas - Add 1 or 2 dates.
- Banana Fudge - Add ¼ cup of hot fudge sauce.
- Banana Mango - Add ½ cup of chopped mango.
- Banana Honey Milkshake - Add 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Oat and Banana - Add ½ cup of uncooked oatmeal (old-fashioned rolled oats).
- Banana Oreo Milkshake - Add 4 to 6 crushed Oreos.
- Banana Peanut Butter Milkshake - Add ½ cup of creamy peanut butter.
- Pineapple and Banana - Add ½ cup of pineapple chunks.
- Banana Pudding Milkshake - Add 4 crushed vanilla wafers. Top with whipped cream, sliced fresh bananas, and a vanilla wafer.
- Banana Split Milkshake - Line the glass with chocolate syrup. Top with whipped cream, diced pineapple, and a cherry.
- Banana Strawberry Milkshake - Add ½ cup of strawberries.
- Bananas Foster Milkshake - Add ¼ cup of caramel sauce and a pinch of cinnamon. For an adult version, also add 1 tablespoon of dark rum.
- Chocolate Banana Milkshake - Use chocolate ice cream and chocolate milk.
- Nutella Banana Milkshake - Add ¼ cup of Nutella.
- Protein Banana - Add a scoop of vanilla or banana-flavored protein powder.
- Vegan Banana Milkshake - Use vegan vanilla ice cream and plant-based milk such as almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, or oat milk.
Frequently Asked Questions
The difference between a banana milkshake and a banana smoothie lies in the base ingredients and preparation method.
A banana milkshake typically contains milk, ice cream, and a banana. They are blended together until smooth, resulting in a thick and creamy consistency. Some people add sugar or other flavorings to enhance the taste.
A banana smoothie can contain a blend of fruits, vegetables, and other healthy ingredients, along with the banana. Unlike a milkshake, smoothies are not typically made with ice cream or yogurt, and may not necessarily contain dairy.
While a banana milkshake can be a tasty treat, it is not considered the healthiest beverage due to its high sugar and fat content.
However, a banana milkshake can still provide some nutritional benefits. Bananas are a good source of potassium, vitamin C, and dietary fiber, and milk is a source of calcium and vitamin D.
Banana milkshake benefits include it being a source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals - potassium, calcium, and vitamins C and D.
Due to its high-calorie and high-fat content, you can drink a banana milkshake for weight gain.
- 1 ½ cups vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 2 frozen bananas
- ½-3/4 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnishes: whipped cream, sprinkles, cherry
- Place all ingredients in a blender except garnishes. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass and garnish with whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry on top.