Chicken is brought to a whole new level when smeared with bacon paste and grilled. These bourbon BBQ chicken skewers are served with a side of bourbon BBQ sauce that is out of this world. Have for dinner or make them half the size as serve as an awesome appetizer.
We love to grill out at our house and we do it at least 3-4 times per week. We feel so lucky to be living in South Florida where it is possible to grill all year long. It certainly helps keep the kitchen cleaner, the house cooler and takes a load off of this chef since my husband is the one that always mans the grill.
I wanted to find something to fix for dinner that we hadn't had before and that would really wow my husband. After surfing the net for half hour, I found this recipe on Host the Toast that looked pretty awesome. I mean who wouldn't love a bacon paste and some bourbon BBQ sauce?
I adapted it only slightly and I have to say it was really over-the-top delicious. I can see us having this for dinner quite often as well as serving it in smaller portions as appetizers. And the leftover BBQ sauce goes great on hamburgers and just plain grilled chicken too.
BOURBON BBQ CHICKEN SKEWERS
- 4 slices bacon, chopped small
- 1-½ Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 8- oz BBQ Sauce (I used Weber's Real Molasses BBQ Sauce Kick'N Spicy & it's Gluten-Free)
- ⅛ cup bourbon
- 8 wooden skewers for dinner/16 smaller skewers or toothpicks for appetizer portion
- In a blender (I used my Ninja and it worked great) or food processor, blend the bacon, sugar and spices until they form a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken into strips, about 4 per large breast. Smooth the bacon paste over chicken strips. Thread onto skewers and replace any paste that fell off.
- While chicken is grilling, combine BBQ sauce and bourbon.
- Heat grill then cook strips 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Brush BBQ sauce on them and grill an additional 1 minute per side.
- Serve with remaining BBQ Sauce on the side.
Love to grill? Check out some of our other awesome recipes.