Green Onion Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins will add a little zing to your meal without being too spicy. The addition of buttermilk & honey makes them moist, delicious & balances out the heat perfectly.
Is there a chill in the air where you are? I can only dream of it here in South Florida but I’m already into my fall recipes. I think it makes me feel a little bit more in season when my house smells like pumpkin, cinnamon, apples and all those autumnish aromas that we all love.
But autumn also means the start of soups, chowders and our beloved comfort foods. And since I just got back from the New England area where I tried everything from clam chowder to lobster stew to corn chowder, I thought a good cornbread to accompany these delicious, tummy-warming soups was in order.
In our home, we like our spicy. Not too spicy but enough that it gives that extra little bite to the recipe. These jalapeno cornbread muffins, adapted from a recipe found on Sally’s Baking Addiction, do just that. Now don’t worry, they aren’t too spicy for those that like things a bit milder, I think its the buttermilk and honey that kind of even things out, but they do have a nice taste of pepper and onion.
Warm these jalapeno cornbread muffins up and they go perfectly with any type of soup, be it our chicken corn chowder or seafood gumbo and even with hearty stews such as our No Peek Stew, add that slather of butter and you’ll think you died and went to heaven. They also freeze well so make up a couple batches for future meals. When you want one, just take one (or two) out of the freezer, pop in the microwave for a minute or so, and voila – warm, delicious corn muffins!
Did you know that you can grow your own green onions? It’s so easy! Just buy a bunch from the store, place in a jar or bottle, fill with a little water, and watch them go. When a recipe calls for green onions just cut off what you need and watch them grow back. Change the water every couple of days to keep it fresh and you’ll have fresh green onions for a month or more. My tend to get a little dry after that so I just start over with a new bunch.
GREEN ONION JALAPENO CORNBREAD MUFFINS
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal (I used Pan, a white cornmeal, but any cornmeal will work)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional but great if like a little extra heat)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds removed & chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 425° degrees. Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne, if using.
- Place butter in a large microwave-safe measuring cup. Heat for 1 minute then stir until all butter is melted. Whisk in oil, brown sugar and honey to the butter and stir. Add egg, buttermilk, chopped jalapenos and green onions. Continue whisking until well blended.
- Add butter mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scoop into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 5 minutes then turn heat down to 350 degrees and bake an additional 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Loosen sides with silicone spatula then invert into basket. Serve warm with butter.