A quick, healthy all-in-one pan Mexican Quinoa Bake full of all the flavors you love – black beans, chicken, salsa, cilantro and cheese beefed up with a hearty helping of quinoa. A satisfying Mexican dinner on the table in 30 minutes!
I’m always in the mood for Mexican, whether it’s tacos, enchiladas or ropa vieja, I say bring it on! Today I decided to take those Mexican flavors and mix them all up in a healthy casserole. It still has all the flavors that you love just without the tortillas and taco shells. And you know it’s not a bad idea to do without those heavier carbs on occasion. I wanted to keep this as low cal as possible but just couldn’t leave out the cheese (after all, cheese makes everything better), however, you can use a low-fat cheese to keep the calorie count in check.
This is not only healthier for you but so easy to put together. If you make the quinoa up ahead of time, like on the weekend when you have more time, this only takes one pan and about 30 minutes from start to finish. Nothing can beat a meal that not only tastes delicious but can get me out of the kitchen in a jiffy after the meal has been devoured.
And if you’ve never made a casserole with quinoa before you are in for a big surprise. It has its own nutty flavor but when combined with the sharper flavors of garlic, salsa and taco seasoning it takes on all the nuances of a flour tortilla in an enchilada. But the good part is, it is much healthier for you and adds fiber and important antioxidants to your meal. This quinoa graphic tells you just how good!
Hope you enjoy!
A quick, healthy all-in-one pan Mexican Quinoa Bake full of all the flavors you love - black beans, chicken, quinoa, salsa and cheese. All in 30 minutes!
- 1 cup Nature's Earthly Choice Quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 large sweet onion
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 large chicken breasts, about 1 lb., cubed
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice,
- 1/4 cup of your favorite fresh salsa
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Garnish: 1 avocado, sliced, 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro & kale chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring quinoa and chicken broth to boil. Turn down heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. This step can be done earlier in the day or up to several days ahead of time.
- Cube chicken and toss with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning.
- Place olive oil in a medium skillet and heat on medium-high. Add garlic, onions and jalapenos and saute for 1 minute. Add chicken and cook until chicken is almost done, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to skillet except cheese and garnishes. Stir well. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with crushed kale chips, sliced avocado then sprinkle with cilantro.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!