This easy Mexican Cheese Dip is a great appetizer for any party & perfect to kick off tailgating season. Just mix 3 cheeses & salsa for one awesome taste sensation.
I love football and being a food blogger you know I like to dish out some tasty appetizers to enjoy while I root for my team, like Baked Jalapeno Poppers, Sauerkraut Meatballs and this yummy Mexican Cheese Dip.
What team is it you ask? Well, having lived in the South Florida area for the last thirty years or so, I am definitely on the Miami Dolphins sideline. And to celebrate, I had to dress up this oh so cheesy hot cheese dip with a touch of our team colors, orange and teal. Go Fins!
The great thing about this appetizer recipe, besides the fact that it’s a bowl of tempting hot molten cheese (duh), is that it’s so easy. You can get it ready ahead of time and just heat it up at game time so you can enjoy the game too – yay!
It’s simply a mix of three cheeses and a jar of salsa, mild, medium or hot to suit your tastes, with some optional add-ins for a heartier cheese dip.
I like to add roasted corn and some black beans to mine to make it a little more substantial but most of the family prefers it the simpler way. WARNING!! Any way you have it, you won’t be able to stop eating it. (And buy those scoop chips so you get more in each bite – just sayin’!)
Serve this tasty Mexican dip with my easy baked tortilla chips made with flour tortillas.
And take a look at more of my easy appetizer recipes for tailgating, parties, and holidays.
HOT & SPICY MEXICAN CHEESE DIP
- 1-1/4 cups Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1-1/4 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 8 oz pkg jalapeno jack cheese shredded
- 1-1/2 cups approx. 1 16-oz jar medium thick & chunky salsa (can adjust qty to your liking)
- 1/2 15.25-oz can corn kernels, drained & roasted (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt (for corn)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder (for corn)
- Squeeze of lime juice (for corn)
- 1/2 10.5-oz can black beans, drained & rinsed (optional)
Garnishes: cilantro, black olives, halved cherry tomatoes, jalapeno slices, diced avocado, tortilla chips
- In a large microwave safe dish, combine cheeses and salsa. Stir well. Cover & place in microwave & cook on high for 5 minutes, stirring several times, until all cheese is melted.
- While cheese is melting, roast corn. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add drained corn tossed with garlic salt & chili powder with a squeeze of lime to skillet and roast for 8-10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Stir corn into melted cheese dip. Black beans can be stirred in at this point or poured into center of cheese dip for optional mixing by guests.
- Garnish with cilantro, black olives, halved cherry tomatoes and jalapeno slices, as desired.
- Serve hot with sides of tortilla chips and diced avocado.
This post has been updated and was first published on August 31, 2016.
Note: This post is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by the National Football League (NFL) or any of its teams. All opinions and views expressed are my own, not that of the NFL and/or any of its 32 teams. Any team names, logos or other symbols referenced are properties of their respective organizations.