Delicate, hearty, and wonderfully savory, prosciutto wrapped chicken is an entree that looks and tastes gourmet. Made with simple ingredients, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to cook at home. A quick and easy weeknight dinner that is delicious enough to serve for special occasions.
FYI - This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All links are products I use when making my recipes.
Table of Contents
Easy Chicken Dinner Recipe
You know those busy weeknights when you just want to make something easy but are tired of the same old thing? You don't have to spend hours in the kitchen to make a delicious chicken dinner. These prosciutto wrapped chicken breasts seal in all the juices and burst with herbaceous flavors.
As tasty and fancy as they are, they only take half an hour! You'll love this recipe, I promise!
Why You'll Love This Chicken With Prosciutto Recipe
You are going to love making chicken breasts wrapped in prosciutto. It's made with simple ingredients in one pan. It's easy to make and cleanup is a breeze.
This 30-minute meal is bursting with delicious Italian flavors. The prosciutto (parma ham) and pesto sauce elevate chicken breasts to another level.
It's so easy because it's not stuffed. All you have to do is season them, wrap them, and cook them!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- Flour or Cornstarch - use cornstarch for gluten-free
- Olive Oil
- Basil Pesto - make your own or use store-bought
- Cream - half and half can also be used for a lower calorie count
- Basil Leaves - optional garnish
- Large Skillet - I love my All-Clad stainless steel skillet
How to Make Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Dredge both chicken breasts in flour.
- Wrap 2 pieces of prosciutto around each piece of chicken.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook chicken on each side for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and pour in cream, scraping up any delicious bits of browned chicken and ham.
- Add basil pesto and stir well.
- Return chicken to the skillet and bring cream sauce to a boil.
- Remove from heat, garnish with basil leaves if desired, then serve over pasta or rice.
Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Thighs - use boneless skinless chicken thighs and prepare as directed, adding cooking time because thighs take longer to cook than breasts.
Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Tenders - use chicken tenders and prepare as directed, reducing cooking time because chicken tenderloins take less time to cook than breasts.
Baked Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken - instead of pan-frying the chicken, place it in a baking dish and brush it with melted butter or garlic butter. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until done (internal temperature is 165°F).
Spice it Up - Season the chicken with an Italian seasoning blend, rosemary, sage, or thyme for additional flavor.
What to Serve with Prosciutto Chicken
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Rosemary Potatoes
- Caesar Salad
- Green Beans
- Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan
Chicken Prosciutto Wine Pairing
For that special occasion, you may want to pair this dinner with a suitable wine. Since the basil pesto cream sauce is a very large part of the flavor of this dish it would work best with either a Pinot Grigio or a Riesling.
However, the addition of the prosciutto adds another definitive flavor to the recipe and adds the possibility of pairing with a toasty Chardonnay or even a nice rich Cabernet Sauvignon.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
To Store: Allow the chicken to cool completely after cooking. Wrap the prosciutto chicken in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place the wrapped chicken in an airtight container or plastic bag. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To Freeze: Allow the chicken to cool completely after cooking. Wrap the chicken tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place it in an airtight container or plastic freezer bag. Keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight.
To Reheat: Unwrap the chicken and place it on a baking sheet and bake it at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat it in the microwave on high power for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Be sure to check that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F before serving.
The pesto cream sauce is best made fresh. Do not store it in the fridge or freeze it.
Best Chicken Dinner Recipes
Find lots more delicious and easy chicken recipes right here on 2CM!
LOVE QUICK & EASY RECIPES? FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, & PINTEREST FOR ALL THE LATEST RECIPE INSPIRATION! PLUS JOIN MY EMAIL LIST AND RECEIVE A FREE E-BOOK.
- All-Clad 12-inch Stainless Steel Skillet
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Sea salt & pepper
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 4 slices Prosciutto
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons basil pesto
- ⅓ cup cream
- Garnish: Basil leaves
- Pat chicken breasts dry. If breasts are particularly thick, cut in half horizontally. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour.
- Wrap each chicken breast with prosciutto. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet. Add prosciutto-wrapped chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes per side until there is no longer any pink in the center of the thickest part of the breast. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Pour cream and basil pesto into the pan. Stir to mix well. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Serve and garnish with basil leaves on top. Serve immediately as is or over pasta or rice.
This post has been updated with an improved recipe, step-by-step directions, and new photos. It was first published on February 11, 2015.
Leave a Reply