There is always room during the Christmas season for a lighter, crisper cookie. These are a favorite, living in Florida, because we are lucky enough to have out own Key Lime tree in our backyard. It produces tons of fruit a year so when we get tired of Authentic Key Lime Pie (is that even possible?) I make these Coconut Lime Crisps.
Theyâ€™ll remind you, even in the middle of winter, of tropical islands and getaways. And thatâ€™s never a bad thing! These cookies bake up super crisp (check out how crisp they are!) and quite large (donâ€™t be surprised by how much they spread) and they have a wonderfully tart lime taste that is offset by the addition of sweetened coconut.
A great cookie for any time of year but around Christmas it gives you a lighter option to all the butter, chocolate & peppermint cookies.
Try my fluffy lime salad for a delicious holiday dessert or side dish.
Find lots of easy Christmas cookie recipes right here on 2CM! Scroll down for a list of cookies you can bake for the holidays and throughout the year.
COCONUT LIME CRISPS
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons lime zest
- 1-¼ cups flour
- ¾ cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl.
- Add the almond extract, lime juice and zest.
- Continue beating while adding flour and coconut.
- Using your hands, roll dough out on a floured piece of wax paper into an 18"-20" log.
- Wrap tightly with paper and place in refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll in colored sugar. (I’ve used red & green and they’re both pretty for the season).
- Cut into ¼" thick slices and place on cookie sheets 2" apart.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheets for 5 minutes then gently remove to wire racks.
- Cool completely and store in airtight cookie tin.
This post has been updated and was first published on December 23, 2013.
Christmas Cookie Marathon Series
Christmas Cookie Marathon
More Cookie Deliciousness
Cookies + Pudding = Scrumptious
Snowballs and Truffles
Simple and Delicious Cookie Bars
Seasonal Flavors - Peppermint and Eggnog